SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
decemberdaisy

Canned Apple Pie Filling -- have questions

decemberdaisy
13 years ago

Hi there!

I used the NCHFP recipe for Apple Pie Filling (with less ClearJel as recommended in past posts) to make several quarts of apple pie filling. Now that I'm done I have some questions for you experts! :)

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to prevent the siphoning off of syrup once the jars are on the counter?

I did allow the jars to sit the requisite 5 minutes off heat in the canner once the processing time was completed. I thought that would mitigate some of the siphoning, but whoa, was I wrong. About half of my jars gooed out all over the counter!

Also, some of the jars appeared to seal pretty well although they lost some syrup during the cooling process. I know I won't be able to really test the seal until tomorrow, but will they seal enough for me to store out of refrigeration, or should I reprocess them?

Lastly, would using less sugar be safe in this recipe (making sure the bottled lemon juice remained the same)? For example, using 2 or 3 cups sugar rather than the full 5 1/2 cups? Just curious for next time.

Thanks for your time!

Jill

Comments (16)