SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
voicez

Should I take down my papaya?

voicez
14 years ago

I started a few papaya trees from seeds that were harvested from a 20 ft. papaya last year. I didn't know much about papayas other than I enjoyed eating them. The seedlings were planted last November. They took minor damage from last year's frost but survived since I covered them up. Once spring came, they grew fast and are now upwards of 7ft. tall. Every one of them has small flowers on them, though not as many as I see on other trees. Only one has had a female flower on it, which actually set, but it fell off after a week. At first, I didn't mind the idea of having a tall tree from which to harvest fruits. But now I'm wondering how long it'll take before I actually get fruit and how much taller these trees will reach. I've read some recent posts about people having dwarf red lady papaya that say they taste the best of all papayas, only grow to 7-8 ft. max and produce in the first year.

So, my question is... should I take down the papayas I have now, get some red ladies and prepare them for planting in Spring?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting