SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debby417

Problems with Canning Applesauce

13 years ago

I have made applesauce in the past and simply froze the jars. This year I wanted to actually 'can' it, so I tried the hot water bath method as outlined in the Ball Blue Book Guide. I did one small batch and had one jar that leaked and looked like it had about 1/2" or so of what must be water at the bottom of the jar. The lid sealed properly, but the water looking stuff at the bottom concerned me. I did the rest of my bushel of apples in two batches, making sure to tighten the rings as tight as I could get them before putting in the hot water bath. Every single jar has some amount of again, what must be water at the bottom of the jar. Everywhere from a tiny amount to as much as 3/4". The jars are all properly sealed. Are they safe to store at room temperature? I have searched the web looking for answers, but can't come up with anything. I can't decide if they're unsafe to store and eat, or not to worry about it since it's probably only water that leaked into the jar and they sealed up properly.

Comments (8)