SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
earthnut_gw

canning short-cooked applesauce

earthnut
16 years ago

I've made homemade applesauce from recipes before, but they tasted more like applebutter than applesauce. I like the applesauce that I get from the store - I always get the natural, no sugar stuff. I once tried making my own recipe of applesauce and I what I did was grind up the apples in a food processor and heat just until the flavor mellowed a bit. This tasted so much better than recipes that called for 20 minutes of boiling!

My question is, is it safe to can this stuff? I've found no recipes for short-cooked applesauce for fresh eating or for canning. I was thinking it'd be nice if I could simply grind up the apples, add a bit of lemon juice, and pour it raw into sterilized jars, then process them 10-15 minutes. Would this cook them enough for safety? Or maybe I should heat the applesauce through first before putting it into the jars? I don't want to use sugar, as I'm on a low-sugar diet. I'm pretty new to canning, I've only done dilly beans, peach jam, and blackberry jam. So I'd much rather have a recipe, but I simply don't like any of the applesauce recipes I've found.

Thanks!

Comments (3)