SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psittacine

Citric acid - powder or crystal form

psittacine
12 years ago

I have been making simple jams for years but have been preparing tomatoes and other things only more recently. When I decided to try canning tomatoes, I bought a one pound bag of citric acid to use as the acidifier, since I didn't think I would like the flavor of lemon juice with tomatoes. That must have been maybe 8 or more years ago. I found that I didn't care for the flavor of the citric acid with tomatoes either. I still buy most of the canned tomatoes I use because of this. The citric acid did not go unused, however. I discovered that when I add it to fruit I am making into (mostly) sugar free jams and preserves, even if the recipe doesn't call for it, we prefer the flavor. Several weeks ago I was about out and couldn't find any in town. I ordered some from a reputable spice vender online. I was totally surprised when I opened my order to see that there is more than one form of citric acid used in the kitchen! Powder.. really powder? What a shock after being used to using a granule more like a course salt!!

The first thing I did was to check weights. It was no surprise to find that the new fluffy powdered citric acid weighs less than the crystals I had been using.. A LOT LESS! (wrote the numbers down but can't find where I put them right now).

Because of this discovery, I was wondering: when canning recipes call for citric acid, which form am I supposed to be using?

Comments (25)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH