SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

What have you put up, 2006, part 2

annie1992
17 years ago

The last "what have you put up 2006" post made it to 130 posts, but it started taking a long time to load, especially with the addition of pictures.

Because I love the pictures, and because I have a slow dial-up, I'll start a new thread. (grin)

Let's see, I canned blueberry/peach/frangelico jam, three 12 oz jars and two 8 ounce jars. It's yummy.

Annie

Comments (100)

• lpinkmountain
    17 years ago

I am proud to say I am no longer an "Annie's Salsa" virgin!
    I managed to do six half pints Saturday night in my tiny kitchen. I hope I can get one more batch in but I'm having trouble scoring enough tomatoes and time!
    No way I can process anything during the week. It's almost 11 PM and I am just leaving work. Bleeeaaach!

• bejay9_10
    17 years ago

zemmag -

Would you mind sharing the "honey-lemon jelly" recipe with me. Sounds like something I would like to have - as citrus is plentiful (I assume it has lemons in it). Also an orange or lime jelly recipe. I prefer not to make marmalades as they just don't move too well in our household.

What an impressive list. I've often wondered about selling home canned goodies - are there restrictions - licenses, etc. that must be obtained. A store clerk recently told me that it was no longer legal in USA - ???

Bejay

• Related Discussions

What Have You Put Up in 2006

Q

Comments (133)
    Another dozen quarts of dill pickles, this time the Polish type. also blanched about 50 ears of corn and cut the kernals off for the freezer. Some are now in a big cookie sheet in the freezer, so they won't form big clumps when bagged. This new corn zipper took a little time to get used to, but its now very easy to strip rows of kernals off each cob about two at a time. I tried using the circular one with side handles, but it seemed to bind and dig into the cobs, then I tried the long yellow mandoline style with a curved blade and that was fairly easy to use, but should have beebn designed to be more curved as it nicks several rows of kernals which makes for a bit more bits and pieces. The zipper is all stainless and does a neat job of removing the rows two at a time. It takes less than 20 seconds to cut off all the kernals off a cob.
    ...See More

What have you put up in 2007 PT. 2

Q

Comments (122)
    Susan, That is odd about the pumpkin, because they tend to like similar conditions to the butternut squash, so it seems odd the latter is happy and the former is a dud this year! Go figure. (SOmetimes lots of green but no flowers/fruit is a sign of too much nitrogen --- I don't know if there was anything that fertilized the pumpkins but not the squash that might've been nitrogen-heavy? Just one possibility.) But the harvest sounds great nonetheless. And good for you for planting those fall veggies. I rarely can get my head back into a planting space by mid-summer so I often don't get much more than a quick crop of lettuce in. I am just in harvest mode!!! But I saw Ken planted a fall pea crop the other day and with you getting all those goodies in maybe I"ll be inspired to do a bit of fall planting.... Hope your recovery is swift! Zabby
    ...See More

What Have You Put Up 2006, Part III

Q

Comments (142)
    Hello Lissa, Welcome to the forum. I think you'll like it here. I hope your family's pressure canner is usable. Most pressure canners have long, long lives. It's just a matter of checking and sometimes replacing an inexpensive part or two, as long as it's a common brand. I included a link to Bejay's earlier post. She was asking about citrus pectin, but I provided a comparison to apple pectin, which is more common. Certainly you can make your own. Apples are easily available and make excellent pectin stock. Some people make a strong stock; some make apple jelly, which can then be used as regular jelly or can be used with other fruits to help them jell. If you look around the forum you'll find lots of interesting threads. When you have a question, just ask away. Carol Here is a link that might be useful: Using and Preserving Natural Pectin
    ...See More

What have you put up in 2007, part 4

Q

Comments (131)
    I just made the BEST recipe for my book club last week, using chili sauce, for shrimp dip. The book was " Long Journey Home" About a Afrian Boy that found his home land at war at age 12. It is a quick good read. We make recipes around the theme of the book, so I googled African recipes. I found great recipes, but the best was the one I'm going to share with you. The first night I used the sauce as a dip for cold shrimp the next night I made a hot dish sauting the shrimp, aspargus, pineapple and the sauce and severed over rice. It is going to be my new, favorite company dish. 1 pound fresh or frozen jumbo shrimp (16 to 20) 4 stalks celery Red Dip (recipe follows) Pink dip (recipe follows) Red Dip: 2 tablespoons Red Pepper Paste(recipe follows) 1 cup chili sauce Pink Dip: 2 tablespoons Red Pepper Paste (recipe follows) 2/3 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing 1 tablespoon lemon juice Red Pepper Paste: 1/4 cup dry red wine 1 tsp. cayenne pepper 3/4 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. ground ginger 1/8 tsp. cardamom 1/8 tsp. ground coriander 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg 1/8 tsp. ground cloves 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon 1/8 tsp. ground allspice 1/8 tsp. black pepper 1/8 of a medium onion 1 small clove garlic 1/4 cup paprika Directions: 1. Clean shrimp and cook according to package directions; refrigerate. Cut celery into sticks. Refrigerate in cold water. 2. Prepare dips. Serve in bowls with shrimp and celery. Red Dip: Mix all ingredients. Makes about 1 cup. Pink Dip: Mix all ingredients. Makes about 3/4 cup. Red Pepper Paste: 1. Measure 2 tablespoons wine and remaining ingredients except paprika into blender container; cover. Blend until smooth, scraping sides of blender frequently. With remaining wine, wash spices down sides of blender. 2. Heat paprika in saucepan 1 minute. Add spice mixture in small amounts, stirring until smooth. Cook unitl hot, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool. Red and Pink Dips can be prepared 48 hours in advance. Store covered in refrigerator. I would use food processor instead of blender. It was hard to scrape the sides of the blender! * didn't like the pink sauce as well. Next time I will make this sauce using the chili recipe on this posting.
    ...See More
  • girlsingardens
    17 years ago

Yesterday DH came home and asked,"Are you still canning:)"

Well Not much done but did get 7 quart of apple pie filling done. I added honey as the sweetening and it smells and tastes yummy. Will be great for apple crisps this winter.

Stacie

Who's total so far this summer is 340 jars, and I don't sell any

• annie1992
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bejay, I think requirements for selling canned goods vary from state to state. I know one other poster lived in a state where it was legal to sell jams and jellies out of your own kitchen, but everything else had to be canned in a "commercially inspected" kitchen.

Here in Michigan you must have a kitchen separate from the one you use every day, and the Health Department has to inspect that kitchen regularly. There are permit fees, etc.

Check with your local Health Department or extension service, they'll probably know. In fact, here, the extension service is trying to open a kitchen that could be used by home canners who want to sell their goods.

Annie

• mrsgalihad
    17 years ago

14 half pints of Linda Lou's Apple Pie Jam made with Pomona pectin
    I did them in two batches. The first batch came out firmer than I was wanting so I doubled the second batch but used the same amount of pectin and sugar. I think this batch will be just about right.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm still doing tomatoes, and processed two more canners full last night, 14 quarts. I want to make something FUN next, I'm tired of plain old tomatoes.

Annie

• girlsingardens
    17 years ago

Didn't get canning done. But did get 2 dozen raspberry muffins and 2 dozen raspberry rhubarb muffins made. They aren't as sweet as I like but are nice and tart with the fresh fruit. I am thinking on making some pear, apple and rhubarb muffins. I like to freeze these, they are nice and tasty in the winter time.

Stacie

• robinkateb
    17 years ago

10 pints of Green Tomato Salsa made this morning.

Right now I have 6 pints of curried green tomato pickles in the canner, I have another batch that needs to be made after. Yesterday I saw dilly beans at the store and I looked at that because i was curious what they cost ($8!!). There was also a jar of curried green tomato pickles and I thought they sounded good so I copied the ingredients down and I am experimenting.

-Robin

• pkramer60
    17 years ago

I finally get to add something to this list. So far, I have about 9 quarts of Chunky tomato and basil sauce, 6 jars of strawberrypreserve and 7 of raspberry. Also 6 qts and 6 pints of chicken stock.

Hopefully today I can work on the two cases of raspberries that are in the fridge and I need to get some apples for sauce and maybe a pie filling.

Annie, sorry to hear Dad has been put on insulin. I have been sutting the sugar to almost nothing in the preserves and am using Splenda. No pectins, but it is working well. Per your advise, I just cook it down a bit more to thicken it up.

I also planned on freezing the 6 pounds of spinach I bought on Thursday, but that is compost now. Not worth the risk.

Carol, I found Mom in the kitchen eating the pasta sauce with a spoon, cold. She said it was the best "soup" she ever had! High praise from a non-soup eater, indeed.

Peppi

• readinglady
    17 years ago

I've been totally out of the loop in this thread recently. Too busy canning and gardening, LOL, to post what I'm doing.

Ken, I grew up with berries; we used to raise boysenberries commercially. Those have always been my all-time favorite berry. That and strawberries; unfortunately, none of the newer varieties taste nearly as good to me as the old, delicate ones. Boysenberries definitely make fabulous jams, syrups and pies. The last year on his mother's farm DH canned 36 pints of boysenberry jam. Nice to have a spouse who knows how to do those things!

So lately I've been madly picking the garden because we've had a significant weather change. It may not "officially" be fall yet, but it certainly feels like it. Two days ago we had thunder, lightning, hail the size of frozen mature peas. We spent hours searching for Salty, the neighbor's dog, who always panics at the first sound of thunder.

I have 2 bushels of assorted sweet and hot peppers on the back porch, 4 bushels plus a box of assorted hybrid and heirloom tomatoes, and a lug of peaches I'm dealing with. Onions, squash, melons and corn are still out in the garden waiting.

Most recently did 28 quarts of spaghetti sauce with meat. More salsa is next. Made a bunch of peach and peach-blueberry pies for the freezer and last night finished a new recipe of raspberry-peach preserves. Peach preserves are next, sliced peaches for the freezer and maybe a peach-pepper relish in "Joy of Pickling" I haven't tried before. Just waiting for the remaining peaches to ripen a bit.

I have 20 pounds of fermented dills with garlic bubbling in the crock. I generally don't care for dills but fell in love with them once I started doing my own. Very, very little vinegar. Mainly salt brine. I've never been fond of the sour stuff.

Carol

• shirleywny5
    17 years ago

28 quarts tomato juice cocktail
    9 pints salsa
    18 pints prunes in light syrup
    Hope to start the sauerkraut this week. Still need applesauce, apple pie jam, pickled peppers and grape juice.

• msprettyky
    17 years ago

We put up 24 quarts of pasta sauce this week. The last of the tomatoes! I went to the farmers market and got strawberries and bananas to make jam. Made 12 pints of strawberry banana jam and 12 pints of strawberry kiwi jam. Still trying to get around to the apple pie filling and apple butter. Maybe this week!

• robinkateb
    17 years ago

5 half pints peach jam plus about 3 ounces for the fridge. Hmmm, now what should I make next with my case of peaches.

-Robin

• annie1992
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm still working on tomatoes, I picked a bunch more today. I started a batch of catsup last night and finished it tonight, 6 pints and 3 half pints.

Robin, I got half a bushel of peaches and never managed to can anything except peach slices and peach preserves and one batch of sugar free peach syrup for Dad's pancakes. We like them so well that it's hard to get "creative", everyone just wants peaches. LOL

Annie

• booberry85
    17 years ago

Mom came to visit this weekend. I didn't get much done! I did pick the last of my grapes and made a batch of grape jam. I need to pick the last of the tomatoes out of the garden before Wednesday night (cold weather is coming in). I want to make the green tomato salsa.

My habaneros are ripening too. Can't wait to make the Habanero Gold! Fortunately I planted those in pots so I can bring them in.

Today I am hopefully only working half a day and canning the other half. What am I making? Grape jam and tomato basil sauce of course!

Happy canning!
    Boo

• mellyofthesouth
    17 years ago

The tomato plants are looking bedraggled, so I cut off all the green ones left and made 5 more pints of green tomato pickles, plus a half pint in the fridge.

I made a trial batch of Shirley's H&D taste-alike pepper and onion relish. I used 1 cup red bell peppers, 1/4 cup hot red peppers, 1/4 cup red onion, 3/4 cup tomato, 1/2 vinegar, and 1 cup sugar. Cooked it down to the right consistency. Yummy. It is an even prettier red color than the original, and the little taste that I had seemed right (maybe not quite as hot as the original, which is ok). The true test will be mixed with the cream cheese as a dip. It made 12 ounces.

Then I made a trial batch of Carol's Hot'n Sweet Confetti Jelly. I used 1/3 cup apricots, 1/2 total red bell pepper, red onion and hot red pepper, 1/2 cup vinegar, 2 cups sugar, 3/4 teaspoon calcium water, and 1/2 teaspoon pomona's pectin. It definitely jelled but hasn't cooled completely in the fridge so I will have to see if it sets up more firmly than I want or not. It took a while for all that sugar to dissolve, I'm wondering if it would be better with a little bit less. Small Batch Preserving has a recipe with almost the same amounts of other ingredients as Shirley's original recipe but only 3 1/2 cups sugar instead of 6. I also had trouble with it turning really foamy. (Nice thing about cooking down the other one - no foam.) The apricots and peppers stayed pretty much suspended and it looks gorgeous. It made 2 jelly jars.

• zabby17
    17 years ago

Thursday night made a batch of tomato sauce, I think I ended up with

1 pint jar
    9 half-pint jars

of sauce and

3 half-pint jars juice

I think I've decided the sauce is too thin, however. I was multi-tasking, trying to finish a work project, cook down the sauce while playing musical pots, walk the dog, and get ready to go away for the weekend all at once, and went ahead & canned it when it really was still too runny.

I am not someone who needs it to be super-thick, but this really was kinda soupy even for me, and the main reason I did up a bunch in half-pint jelly jars was to use it to make pizzas with, and for that it really should be on the thicker rather than thinner side.

So I'm thinking of pouring it all back into the pot tonight and cooking it down more. I know you aren't supposed to reprocess something more than 24 hours after it's been canned, and it's been 3 days, but I just might be bit of a cowboy and do it.

Meanwhile, stopped at the farm stand and got the means to make a big batch of chili for the freezer, and another cannerload or two of Annie's salsa (for keeping and for a "cash crop" to trade with my sister). Am off to pick tomatoes & will see if I have enough to do both those things tonight or not.

Zabby

• robinkateb
    17 years ago

5 half pints and about 5 ounces for the fridge peach orange jam. I think I will taste this on a slice of toast tonight and then combine it with the plain peach already in the fridge. I also think I should move on to just plain canned peaches. Although I really want to try the blueberry peach frangelico (this would of course require the purchase of another liqueur, that will not help with finding homes for all our stuff).

Zabby, if the jars all sealed fine you can go ahead and reprocess without feeling like a renegade. The 24 hour time limit is for items that did not seal properly or were not canned correctly in some way.

-Robin

• readinglady
    17 years ago

If something's been processed properly, I can't see any reason why re-processing can't be done whenever. (Someone may disagree on this, of course.) I always thought the 24-hour limit applied to items where there was a processing error.

Finished a batch of peach preserves (Christine Ferber's recipe) and put 8 quarts of sliced peaches in the freezer.

Now I'd like to get more peaches just for eating, enjoy the feast before the weather turns!

Carol

• annie1992
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Zabby, you and I can be renegades together, I guess. The salsa batch I made a couple of weeks ago was just too hot for me. I could eat it, but I didn't enjoy it. I made another batch of salsa with no jalapenos, then dumped the 9 pints of "too hot" salsa in and boiled it for 10 minutes, then bottled it back up. I now have 21 pints of salsa on my counter and I'm happy, it's salsa I can eat!!

I did check with my local extension service and a Master Food Preserver. They told me that there was no reason I shouldn't pour that salsa into a new batch and reprocess, at least no safety reason. She did point out that people do that all the time with commercial tomato sauce, etc., they add the already canned product into their recipe and can it again.

Annie

• zabby17
    17 years ago

Well, you guys have taken all the fun out of my being a renegade --- up till the point where Annie joined in. We can be like the canning Thelma and Louise. ;-)

Didn't have time to reprocess yet, as the quadruple batch of chili I made last night (yay for the new big pot!!) took longer than I'd thought it would to make. I did put one or two of the small jars of too-thin tomato sauce INTO said chili, so I've got fewer to reprocess.

Good point, Annie, about using commercially canned stuff in other canned goods. In fact, when I make your salsa, I always use my own home-canned tomato sauce. At this point I'll probably wait till the next batch goes through the food mill, and add this one in and cook it all down together in the Great Big Pot.

This peach season has been just magnificent here in the True North (as it has in Annie's nearby climate). Hope to push the season just a bit further and still find some available when I get back from going away for a few days tomorrow, as I'd really like to put up some mixed peaches & pears for making fruit salad on winter mornings...

Zabby

• annie1992
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, Zabby, do you want to be Thelma or Louise? LOL WE can spread havoc through canned goods where ever we go. (snicker)

Annie

• zabby17
    17 years ago

Annie, instead of a car we can caroom around in your front-end loader! (You have to be whichever one of them drives the vehicle, I suppose....)

Any men who get in our way had better behave like good cabana boys, or else!

Zabby

• annie1992
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Now, there's a picture, Zabby, the two of us zooming about on the backhoe, with a bucket full of canned goods, terrorizing the population. Not that most of the male population isn't ALREADY terrorized by the thought of me anyway. LOL

Annie

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

12 pints of' 'end of garden' relish, as well as 4 jars to tiny sweet pickled gerkins. The ed of garden relish was mostly my walking onions, pepperoncini, cukes, and string beans.

• bluejean
    17 years ago

I need to stop reading this thread every morning- it makes me hungry!

I have been dehydrating the end of the garden stuff- peppers and the few tomatoes. There are just so few left and I know they won't get used in a recipe, so i have been slicing them up and dehydrating everything overnight. Once I have them dehydrated, I have been "conditioning" them and then bagging them up and sticking them in the freezer. They will make great additions to soups or such later this fall or winter.

Thanks for the inspiration!

bluejean in ohio

• annie1992
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dad wants me to make chow chow, but since I had these:

{{gwi:951857}}

I made 13 pints of pickled beets. One jar broke in the canner. It wasn't one of the short, squatty marshmallow creme jars I was using, oh no, it was a wide mouthed Kerr. What a mess.

Tonight, I think, I'll start on some spaghetti sauce. I don't much care for spaghetti but the kids love it and I have this to deal with:

{{gwi:951858}}

And this:

{{gwi:951860}}

And these:

{{gwi:946285}}

Yup, the tomatoes are ripe!

Annie

• bluejean
    17 years ago

oh my goodness Annie, you are going to be one very very busy girl this week! I don't think I dealt with that many tomatoes all season long, let all at one time! How many tomato plants do you have??

just curious too- how many jars of salsa do you put up each year. It seems so many of the people on here do dozens and dozens and dozens. Just cuirous how many the creator actually makes herself.

happy preserving!
    bluejean in ohio

• annie1992
    Original Author
    17 years ago

bluejean, I planted 98 tomato plants. 6 of those did not thrive, leaving 92. 4 of them are the tiny SunGold, which leaves me 88 healthy, happy and definitely producing tomato plants. What you see is my second picking, and I have at least that many more in my "tomato jungle". My stepmother has already canned nearly 100 quarts of tomatoes and plans to do more this week. I've done 40 quarts, plus 6 pints and 3 half pints of catsup and 21 pints of salsa.

Yes, 21 pints. That will be enough for Ashley and I, and there will be plenty left over to share with Dad and Amanda. I did give away 4 pints, used 2 pints at a birthday party this weekend and ate 1 pint myself. So, I started with 28 pints, total.

Annie

• robinkateb
    17 years ago

14 pints canned peaches, 1 is brandy cinnamon and 1 is brandy cinnamon vanilla. The rest are plain. The case of peaches are all gone now and there are no more at the store. At least I got this case.

5 half pints and 1 4 oz jar green tomato salsa. this batch is much hotter then the last one. I have been asked to teach a canning lesson possibly on the salsa (I kind of offered) and they asked if I had some already made. When I replied yes she said I should bring some in so folks could taste it and want to make it. I think the picture of my face spoke a 1000 words. She said, "I know its precious." So I made this batch so maybe i can give some away. Especially as I was not going to open a whole pint. LOL

-Robin

• fearlessem
    17 years ago

lol Robin -- I love the idea of you making a face of horror at the idea of having to share some of what you'd already canned for yourself! I mean its one thing with loved ones (occasionally, if one really really loves them), but with strangers! Harumph! ;-)

Emily

• annie1992
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Robin, if you have to open a jar, open that little 4 ounce one. (grin)

Good luck on those salsa lessons, I think you'd be really good at that. The cinnamon vanilla peaches sound delicious!

Annie

• buckeyefan
    17 years ago

Ok, I am new to all of this, and I am teaching myself as I go, but here goes- this is what I have to date:

4 half pints blueberry preserves
    5 half pints zucchini pickles
    5 pints peaches
    7 pints pears
    6 pints pear puree (to use in A to Z muffins)
    3 pints peach syrup
    6 half pints peach jam
    6 half pints + 1 pint apple pie jam
    5 pints salsa (I bought the Ball packet to add to it- it is ok, but next year I can't wait to make Annie's salsa!)
    5 pints tomato garlic basil sauce

Hmm, I think that was everything....I want to make some apple cinnamon syrup yet, and probably some applesauce. Not sure what else I will have time for, but I think it is a success to get this far in my first year trying. I am already planning next year's garden to help feed my new habit, lol.

I am so glad I found this site- very inspirational!
    Lisa

• shirleywny5
    17 years ago

7 pints pf peach syrup
    3 half pints peach butter

I used the Blue book recipe for the butter. I really wanted syrup, however couldn't find a recipe for it, so I boiled the the butter until a consistency I liked. I filled the jars with some of the syrup and added cinnamon to what was left in the pan and continued cooking until thick. Both are absolutely wonderful.

• booberry85
    17 years ago

Congrats Lisa! That's an impressive list for a first year. I did get 8 more pints of tomato basil sauce done this past monday. This weekend it's green tomato salsa, tomato basil sauce, grape jam and maybe some apple pie jam.

• fearlessem
    17 years ago

Lisa -- what an accomplishment. You should be so proud of yourself -- and such a variety of different things you've canned!

My additions to the list are:

4 pints roasted tomato puree
    5 pints regular tomato puree
    5 quarts diced tomatoes
    7 pints applesauce -- hooray! let the applesauce making begin!

Emily

• annie1992
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lisa, welcome to the Harvest Forum, home of old Canosaurs and general obsessives, with an occasional cabana boy!! Pear puree, huh? I'll bet that makes a nice, moist muffin, I never thought of it.

Last night/this morning I took my last jars of spaghetti sauce out of the pressure canner at about 2:45 a.m. Two days worth of work and a bushel and a half of tomatoes, with 4 pounds of homegrown ground beef, and I only got 10 quarts. That's pretty labor intensive, I don't think I'll do it again. Of course, we'll see what I say next year. LOL

I also got a half bushel of "utility" apples for $2.00. That's a mix of organic apples that were too big/small, had a blemish, were shaped funny, etc. I made an apple cake with brown sugar frosting and I'm thinking it's time to start some applesauce this weekend.

Annie

• robinkateb
    17 years ago

Annie, I did a 4 oz jar for just that reason (now where is the abashed but smug smiley when you need it?). I am glad you folks see understand, i was feeling a little guilty. However I made 10 pints originally, already gave away 2 and plan on giving 2-3 more away to friends who love it. We will see how well I am at teaching, half the "students" are Somalian refuges who are trying to learn English. That should throw a curve ball in to the lessons. I actually am thinking applesauce might be a better lesson.

I made 5 pints mostly seedless raspberry jam with orange. The recipe calls for lemon juice but I had to use orange peel in the dinner I was making so I used the orange juice. Good thing I tasted it, even with 100 grams less sugar it was way to sweet so i added the lemon juice as well. Now it is delicious. The boys and i picked the berries at a PYO. Sebastian actually contributed almost 2 full pints to the raspberries I had to pay for. After picking the boys found a mud puddle... I had to strip their clothing off before letting them get in the car. LOL!! They had so much fun. Julian dipped his snack in the puddle and then ate it. Ugh! At least it was good organic dirt.

I have enough tomatoes to make 2 more batches of Tomato Orange Marmalade. That should be enough for us and gifts.

Annie, That sauce sounds worth it to me. After all that is 10 amazing home made dinners that will take the amount of time it takes to make the pasta. Kind of funny how canning has us trading time, time now makes it easier later,

Lisa, that is great, so much variety. You should try the green tomato/tomatillo salsa as well. Welcome to the forum.

-Robin

• KatieC
    17 years ago

I've been off to a slow start this year, but I wound up with two lugs of peaches, two boxes of Yakima tomatoes, DH got the green beans out before the frost (lost my basil though, darnit), and a friend gave me a bunch of assorted peppers. So, I took a couple of vacation days and in the last two weeks...

12 pts. plain old peaches in light syrup
    3 batches Peach Preserves for Cold Mornings (we go through a lot of this)
    Two batches Peach Chipotle Jam, one hot, one mild (from this forum...very easy - no peeling, and yummy)
    A batch of Janetsapeach Chutney
    A batch of Spiced Peach Jam (with my Penzey's Vietnamese cinnamon...omg...the smell...)
    A batch of Midsummer Marmalade (cantaloupe, peaches, orange, lemon, crystallized ginger...the cant sort of got lost in there, but it's still yummy)
    A couple of trays of glaceed peach slices in the dehydrator
    Also dried some sweet bicolored corn and a few green beans
    10 pints green beans
    Two batches Annie's salsa - one wimpy for the kid, and one hot for us
    A batch of my 'regular' salsa
    Two batches of Smoky Tomato Ketchup (Also from this forum...with chipotles... YUM. Did one batch as written, except I zinged it up with a bit more vinegar, and I have a hotter batch simmering.)
    6 pts. roasted tomato garlic soup
    Two quart bags of really roasted vegies (same vegies as the soup)in the freezer for pasta sauce
    This afternoon I'll do a cannerload of crushed tomatoes with onions and peppers, and a cannerload of plain crushed tomatoes. Whatever's left will get roasted for sauce or soup or whatever.

Oh, and I cleaned out my pantry... jars of onion jam that didn't set, some caramelized onion 'concentrate' I made a few years ago, a batch of Caramelized Red Onion Relish... I'd subbed sweet onions and we didn't like the texture, old peach chutney, a bunch of two or three year old jam, old chili sauce. I just couldn't toss it all. I dumped it in the maslin pan along with some lemon juice, worchestershire, ketchup, tomato sauce, mustard seed, a little liquide smoke and then blended with a stick blender. It made a very interesting, fruity BBQ sauce, sort of reminds me of the old grape jelly/chili sauce/little smokies recipe. I canned up half of it and now I have the other half simmering on the cookstove...so far I've added some molasses, Chipotle Tabasco sauce, red pepper flakes and a big glug of some homemade rye whisky that someone gave us.

• zabby17
    17 years ago

Last Tuesday night I made a batch and a half of Annie's wonderful salsa. I think it came to

5 pints
    11 half-pints

Used two jalapenos and one fiery little thai thing from the freezer ---it came out a bit hotter than the previous batch with six jalapenos, which is great --- I labelled the last batch MILD and this one MEDIUM.

The next day I headed to Ottawa and brought a bit of each for my sister in exchange for the promised pesto from her freezer. (Though when I found out one of the pesto batches she gave me was made from red basil, which doesn't taste nearly as good, I had a bit of a robinkate moment and wished I'd not brought her as much. She partly made up for it by throwing in a jar of low-sugar plum jam that she swears is the best batch she's made.)

Annie,

I scared off my share of men as well, without need of a backhoe --- was a single gal for 9 years before I met a guy made of sterner stuff who actually LIKES smart, strong women (there are a few, it seems).

Katie, goodness, what a brew!

I've got some rejects from my first year of canning that I can't quite stand do toss, either, but have no desire to eat; alas, they're all supersweet fruity things not suitable for BBQ brew: some apple pie jam that didn't jell and has hardly any apples in it besides (they did NOT get evenly distributed), some pear honey that is way too sweet for us, and some peach-pineapple jam made from tasteless peaches that I somehow thought might magically acquire some taste in the canning process (guess what? they didn't). Oh, and one last jar of the awful spiced clementine stuff that was the first thing I tried to can; I never much liked it but it took me SO long to peel all those clementines I keep thinking I'll figure out a use for it. Sigh.

Any suggestions?

Zabby

• mellyofthesouth
    17 years ago

May I suggest compost? I have a few jars that need to go there. Like you, I'm having trouble pulling the plug on them. But, since I need the jars back, I think I'll do it. Do you have any suggestions for my last lonely jar of lemon jelly? I made it with 8 cent lemons. It tastes fine, but I have so many other yummier things to put on toast that I haven't opened it.
    Melly

• KatieC
    17 years ago

I composted a lot of stuff this year, but these were all edible, I just knew we'd never use them up.

Zabby, once I got to dumping, I almost went Asian plum sauce-ey with it because it was so fruity...there was a lot of peach jam and some plum based sweet and sour sauce in there. Maybe some ginger, garlic, rice vinegar, soy sauce etc?

We're doing some ribs in the whiskey sauce tonight...it's tasting pretty darn good.

• booberry85
    17 years ago

Zabby, jams and jellies that don't set or don't quite make it as jams or jellies get recycled into glazes for just about anything (pork roasts, turkey legs, tarts, or warmed as ice cream topping). They can also be swirled into batters for quick breads and coffee cakes.

I went through some of my canned goods this weekend and chucked out some pickles from 2001! DH and I aren't huge pickle eaters. A batch or bread and butters and a batch of dills will last us a year. If I get a bumper crop of cukes or zukes, I wind up with way too many pickles.

This weekend I made 8 half-pints of green tomato salsa, 8 pints of tomato basil sauce, 7 half-pints of grape jam and 7 pints of green tomato pickle relish. I thought we were going to get a frost the middle of last week so I picked a lot of green tomatoes. We never did get the frost! Still I suppose it's time for me to start cleaning out the garden.

• zemmaj
    17 years ago

Mooooooore....

Blueberry jam 22 jars
    Rhubarb Strawberry 19 jars
    Green tomato ketchup (chowchow?) 21 pints, one half pint
    Lemon mustard chutney 30 jars
    Peach pepper jam 11 jars
    Shirley's pepper jam 9 jars
    Pineapple in coconut rum syrup 40 pints

Going to do more of that really wonderful pepper jam today, I finished a jar already, eating by the spoonful. Yep, that is goooood stuff! Also still have three bushels of peaches, two of tomatoes, one green tomato and one pear to deal with. Apple sauce to come soon and plums too. I also made 60 liters of cream of cauliflower for the freezer. That and all the fudge I can manage to make, cos I sell a hell of a lot of that. And sucre à la crème too, which only Zabby and Victrola probably know about, it is a kind of brown sugar fudge, typical here in Québec, very popular and very sweet.

Marie

• zabby17
    17 years ago

boo, that's a great idea --- I bet I can use the apple pie jams in coffee cakes as a swirl layer. I can go small amounts --- they're just too sweet for my taste to put on toast. (I know people say turn it into a sauce or syrup for ice cream but we REALLY don't need to be eating desserts that include ice cream AND sweet sauce --- if I start doing that just to clean out my larder I'll REALLY lose my debate with GL on the cost of home canning (in the "open-kettle canning" thread) because I'll need to buy a whole new wardrobe! ;-)

But for some things, like those clementines, Melly is right, compost it is. I do love my compost --- it allows me to not feel that anything organic over TRULY goes to waste, so I feel a little better about that almost-full basket of peaches that went bad while I was away, sigh.

Zabby

• dgkritch
    17 years ago

I can add:
    4 pints of Katies' Roasted Garlic Soup (YUM!!)
    2 pints of tomato sauce
    1 pint that was half & half of the above (gave to my daughter for a quick vegetarian pasta sauce)

Plus the non-canning stuff done Saturday....
    Pear/Pecan bread (new recipe, very good, will post separately)
    Lemon Bars
    Pumpkin Pie Cake
    Black Bean Soup
    6 loaves Homemade Bread

Deanna

• annie1992
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Not much canning this weekend, but I made a honey apple cake or rosh Hashanah in symbolic connection with my Jewish friends and it was pretty good.

I also put two big sheets of sliced green tomatoes into the freezer for fried green tomatoes this winter.

I did pick all the apples, dug the rest of the potatoes and picked another 2 1/2 bushels of tomatoes, so I'll be canning SOMETHING this week.

Annie

• shirleywny5
    17 years ago

7 quarts Roma tomatoes
    18 pints corn
    8 half pints pepper jam
    8 pints salsa

Total so far, 490 jar assorted goods this year.
    I bought another 5 tiered shelf unit. I now have three.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, I forgot a very important part of my "harvest" this weekend. My "girls" gave me my very first egg.

Here are my "girls" when I first received them in the mail. Yes, IN THE MAIL!! This is the first part of June, before Father's Day:

{{gwi:951861}}

Here is my Granddaughter, Makayla with "Sandi" in June:

{{gwi:951862}}

And here is the egg I got yesterday:

{{gwi:951863}}

A very important harvest, this one. (grin)

Annie

• dgkritch
    17 years ago

Woo Hoo!!!!!!
    That first one's special huh?
    Mine was the day after my birthday in July!! Getting anywhere from 6-12 per day now from 14 hens. One day I got 14...guess they were all having an "on" day!

I was surprised how quickly the rest started laying!

Did you cook it for Makayla?

Deanna (post 100, by the way)