SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Japanese maples, conifers and now Hostas!

Hello hosta folks, this looks like a very active and very fun forum to participate. I'm a new hosta collector and very glad I found this great outlet!

I've spent a lot of the last 2-3 days reading the vast and various posts from the last few weeks here. I have a small garden(less then an acre), but Hostas seem like both the perfect plant for shady spots and also for underneath Japanese maples. I have horrible OCD-collectoritus so I imagine with the enormous array of different hostas, I will soon be up to my knees in Hosta.

I recently bought an enormous jug of 'organic Sluggo' and I've applied it to the existing 30-40 hostas I have scattered about. From what I have read, this will probably do well against our ample Pacific Northwest slug population.

I do have a few questions that I haven't seen answered or discussed. First, what happens to Hostas in 20-30 years? Do they peter out, look bad, overcrowd or just keep looking better and better? I ask because both Japanese maples and conifers tend to look better with age - and from what I have read, so do Hostas, but I've never heard of someone with a 20-30 year old specimen.

Next, will Maples overhead Hostas really stress them for water? I know Japanese maples tend to be relatively shallow rooted, and I know Hostas like ample water.

Finally, I just placed an online order for about 20 nice 4" pot hostas at about $10 a plant. Is this an appropriate price or do folks here generally buy very small bare-root plants at lower prices?

Thanks in advance and so happy to find another great forum!

-Will

Comments (16)