SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garden_witch

Pumpkin butter recipe?

garden_witch
18 years ago

I have seen a few mentions of pumpkin butter here, does anyone have a recipe to share?

TIA ~ GW

Comments (38)

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Pumpkin Butter
    3 1/2 cups cooked or canned pumpkin
    1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
    60g powdered fruit pectin
    4 1/2 cups sugar

Place pumpkin in large saucepan. Add pumpkin pie spice and fruit pectin and mix well. Place over high heat; stir until mixture comes to a gentle boil, immediately add the sugar and stir well. Bring to a rolling boil and boil hard for one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and ladle into jars with lids. Store in refrigerator 2-3 weeks. Serve with warm, fresh bread or scones.

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago

Here's a recipe for making your own pumpkin pie spice - one of many versions:

Pumpkin Pie Spice
    1/2 cup crushed cinnamon sticks
    1/4 cup whole star anise
    1/8 cup fennel seeds
    1/8 cup dried orange peel
    1/8 cup whole cloves
    1/8 cup dried ginger

Grind all the ingredients in a spice grinder until powdered. Be sure to stop grinding intermittently to keep the herbs from overheating. Store in an airtight glass container away from heat and light. Adds flavour to cakes, muffins, cookies, and pies. Can be added to ground coffee before brewing to add a zesty taste. For pumpkin pie, add 1 1/2 teaspoons spice blend for a mild flavour, or up to 1 tablespoon for a stronger flavour

• Related Discussions

Uses for Pumpkin Juice? Also, Pumpkin Butter...

Q

Comments (7)
    Carol - My point with the steak was simply that the USDA guidelines are supposed to be idiot proof. Since I am not an idiot, your ouija comment notwithstanding, I find myself looking at the USDA guidelines with a healthy degree of skepticism. That isn't to say I'm going to throw them out the window, simply that I'm open to alternatives. Canning with wire bail and Weck style jars is not recommended by the USDA, either - but people in Europe do it all the time - and don't die. If no one ever questions the guidelines how on earth do they ever get revised? Del
    ...See More

Pumpkin Butter Recipe in the Good Stuff Cookbook

Q

Comments (6)
    Hopefully at some point the NCFHFP will come up with a safe pressure-canned pumpkin butter, but given the variations in pumpkin pulp, there'd have to be a lot of latitude in processing time. I keep hoping they'll provide a pressure canner time for tomato paste. So far it's still just 90 minutes BWB, which I hate. I've been meaning to email and ask if they have any recommendations, just haven't gotten around to it. Conserves with nuts are fine. I haven't found any information saying otherwise. Basically conserves are jams with nuts added. You're working with high-acid product (the fruits) and sugar. The sugar binds the water that might encourage bacteria. And the only thing nuts might be susceptible to would be mold (true of plain jams as well) or rancidity. Both are easily detectible by smell or taste and don't present the kinds of health issues you see with botulism, for instance. Carol
    ...See More

Apple pumpkin butter recipe safe to can?

Q

Comments (5)
    I pureed it again after it cooked down and it needed to be sweeter and maybe less spices and I couldn't taste the pumpkin. I'll have to have my DD's try it they love pumpkin butter. I also used rehydrated pumpkin, I think fresh might be better. Oh well, there's always next year.
    ...See More

Making Pumpkin Butter vs fresh pumpkin puree for quickbreads?

Q

Comments (7)
    Trader Joe’s carries Pumpkin Butter in the fall. People rave about it. I bought some last year and didn’t care for it. To me it tasted more like pumpkin pie spice and not enough like pumpkin. I love apple butter and it was nothing like it. The consistency was too thin, also, more like a sauce: it would slide right off whatever you put it on. I was on a local gardening forum and someone was talking about making her own pumpkin butter from the pumpkins she grew. It looked so much better and thicker than the Trader Joe’s version that it got me thinking in that vein of how to use my pie pumpkins. (I buy a couple to use on my porch for Halloween, then eat them after. The first year I did this, it was so thin it was good only for soup.) She’s the one that cooked it down in the slow cooker to make it thicker after roasting. Using it in quickbread is far more likely than in any other form. I had a pumpkin cinnamon scone a few weeks ago that was really tasty.
    ...See More
  • gardenlad
    18 years ago

Daisyworth, why are you adding additional pectin? It's not needed for butters, which become thick from evaporating the liquid.

Here's my pumpkin butter recipe:

1 quart pumpkin puree
    2 cups brown sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp ginger
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/4 tsp powdered cloves

Mix all ingredients over low fire. Simmer until thick, stirring frequently to avoid scorching.

Modern thought is that pumpkin butter should not be canned. I used to do it, though, by putting the hot butter in hot jars and processing in a boiling water bath 10 minutes.

I provide that info for entertainment value only, and repeat that it is not considered safe to can pumpkin butter.

• garden_witch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanx for the recipes. My next question would be if I could freeze this in mason jars? (Capping them after they freeze up, of course.) Or should I use plastic containers?

• gardengrl
    18 years ago

I bought a jar of Muirhead Pecan Pumpkin butter from Williams and Sonoma (couldn't help myself) two weeks ago and I am in llll-oooooo-vvvv-eeee! It is the most wonderful thing! The ingredients only state: pumpkin, pecans, sugar, lemon juice, and spices. It almost tastes like it has a little bit of apple, but that may be the lemon juice.

Anyway, I'm going to try to make my own version.

• gardenlad
    18 years ago

That sounds great, Gardengrl. Did you have to take out a second mortgage to afford it?

I've often thought Williams Sonoma had a unique pricing formula. Buy the product from a manufacturer. Tack on the distributor price. Add a reasonable mark-up (100% is typical in the retail business). Then add 140% to that.

But they do have some interesting products.

• gardengrl
    18 years ago

Hi Kentucky!

LOL! Yes, that place is outrageous, but if I can get out of there spending $10 for the sake of "science," I'm alright with it. :-)

I spent $9 for the jar; however, the manufacturer, Muirhead (in NJ) sells the pumpkin butter off their website for $6-ish a jar. If I order from them, plus shipping, it might come close to the same price as WS....sigh. I'll wait for the stuff to go on sale at WS after the holidays. If I can get it at 1/2 price, it will be worth it; it's THAT good!

Here is a link that might be useful: Muirhead Foods

• readinglady
    18 years ago

Maybe this is the recipe which inspired them. It comes from Helen Witty. I have both her books, "Fancy Pantry" and "The Good Stuff Cookbook." The second is an extensive revision of the first, with 60% new recipes. She really is excellent for anyone interested in preserves, vinegars, mustards, hot sauces, etc. but her methods are not always up-to-date and sometimes need to be modified, as with the pumpkin butter.

Spiced Pecan & Pumpkin Butter

Pumpkin is one of the few things put up in cans that can be commended to even the fussiest cook. The butter is delectable on toast or any hot bread, or on pancakes, waffles, of French toast in place of syrup. It's also delicious over ice cream or frozen yogurt.

If you have a fresh "pie" or sugar pumpkin-not a jack o' lantern variety, which will be both watery and stringy after cooking-prepare it by paring, cubing, and steaming until very tender (this can be done in a covered casserole in the oven), then pushing the flesh through a sieve or the fine disk of a food mill. If the pureed pumpkin is too moist-which it is if liquid quickly seeps from a sample spooned onto a plate-line a colander with cheesecloth and drain the puree for a hour or so. To make enough puree for this recipe, start with a good-sized pumpkin, say 5 pounds.

Hard-fleshed winter squash (Hubbard, etc.) can be used instead of pumpkin; prepare it in the same way.

Zest (outer peel only, no white pith) of 1 orange, or zest of 1/2 orange and 1/2 lemon, removed in wide strips with a swivel peeler

1 large can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin plus 1/2 cup water, or 3-1/2 to 4 cups pumpkin puree prepared from scratch (see the headnote)

2 cups (packed) light brown sugar or
    1-1/2 cups (packed) light brown sugar plus 1/2 cup mild honey or light corn syrup

3 tablespoons strained fresh orange juice
    3 tablespoons strained fresh lemon juice
    1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    Pinch of ground cloves
    1/3 cup pecans or walnuts, lightly toasted and grated or very finely chopped

Makes about 5 cups

1. Simmer the orange zest in 2 cups water in a sauce pan for 10 minutes, then drain it and mince it to a fine pulp. Measure out 1 tablespoon and reserve.

2. Combine in a heavy-bottomed stainless-steel or other nonreactive saucepan the pumpkin (and water, if canned pumpkin is used), orange zest, sugar, orange juice, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt, allspice ginger, and cloves. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; lower the heat and simmer the mixture, stirring it very often with a wooden spatula, until it has become very thick, about 15 minutes. Sample the butter and add a little more of any or all of the spices, if you like (remember, the flavors will blossom in storage). Add more sweetening if your tastebuds request it.

3. Stir in the nuts and continue to cook for another 2 or 3 minutes. Ladle the boiling-hot pumpkin butter into clean, hot half-pint canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch of headspace. Seal the jars with new 2-piece canning lids according to manufacturer's instructions. Process the jars for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath. Cool, label, and store for up to a year a cool cupboard. [Note: Instead of canning refrigerate or freeze for long-term storage.]

Carol

• mellyofthesouth
    18 years ago

Amazon has a bunch of used copies - 3 of which are $1.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Good Stuff Cookbook

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago

Gardenlad, I'm only passing on a recipe I have in my collection. I wouldn't make pumpkin butter even with a gun pointed at my head! I LOATHE pumpkin, with a passion akin to phobia, in all its forms!! If I ruled the world, I'd ban pumpkins from the planet. But,in reality, since some people eat it, no recipe collection is complete with pumpkin recipes. It's sad, really.

• readinglady
    18 years ago

Daisy, I have friends who love the stuff, but for myself I wouldn't bother. I do like pumpkins in other forms, however.

Maybe in your case they'd be good for target shooting?

Carol

• annie1992
    18 years ago

Sorry, ladies, we'll have to part ways on this subject. I LOVE pumpkin. I like pumpkin butter, pumpkin pie (well, I don't care for pie crust, but I love the filling), pumpkin roll, pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins........

That recipe sounds better than the one I have, I'll have to try it.

Melly, thanks for the tip on the book!

Annie

• gardenlad
    18 years ago

Hmmmmmm? I have to take issue with Ms Wity. First she says to steam the pumpkin, then she cautions that it might be too watery. It is _always_ too watery if you steam or boil it.

A better bet is to cut the pumpkin into large, but manageable pieces, and bake it until soft. Then scrape the flesh from the skins to make your puree.

>I LOVE pumpkin. I like pumpkin butter, pumpkin pie (well, I don't care for pie crust, but I love the filling), pumpkin roll, pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins........ Me, too, Annie. Except that I don't care for pumpkin pie.

In Colonial days, especially in the backwoods, supper often was nothing more than pumpkin (pompion) steamed in milk.

For a relatively little known snack, cut the pumpkin into squares, about 2 x 2 inches and a half inch thick. Then dry them in the dehyrator at a low temperature.

Pumpkin is very high in saccarine, and was often used as a sweetener. In fact, in New England they would extract a syrup, used like molassas or maple syrup.

It was often used, too, to extend meal by using pumpkin puree as part of the liquid component in corn cakes and the like. Here, adapted from an 18th century recipe, is how to make

Pumpkin Corn Cakes

1 cup cornmeal
    1/2 cup flour
    1 cup pumpkin puree
    1/4 cup honey
    1 tbls baking powder
    1 egg
    milk, cream, or evaporated milk

Mix dry ingredients. Add egg, honey, pumpkin, and enough mild to form a medium thick batter.

Drop by large spoonsfull onto a hot, greased griddle. Cook, turning once, about 5 minutes per side.

Now you could bathe these in maple sugar if you want. But pumpkin or fruit butter seems to go better with them.

• mellyofthesouth
    18 years ago

Did anyone look at the recipes on the Muirhead foods site. The carrots with a pumpkin butter glaze sounded good but I thought they might be watery from being steamed. When I make carrots now I have started just simmering them in cranberry butter (or whatever I'm using). The carrots release enough moisture. Maybe I should try roasting them. I prefer my asparagus roasted. Part of my issue is that I am a heretic and really don't like carrots, so I'm all about disguising their flavor. Maybe it's a southern thing but around here we prefer sweet potato pie over pumpkin. I used to have a recipe for sweet potato biscuits that was yummy.

• garden_witch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

oooooOOOOOoooo!!! Pumpkin Johnny cake! TY for the recipe GardenLad, I will have to try it this weekend =) I picked seven sugar pie pumpkins the other day, I am just itching to do something with them before the holidays. If I'm not careful, I won't have anything left for pumpkin pie ;)

~GW~

• gardenlad
    18 years ago

Ahhh, Melly. Sweet Potato Pie and Shut My Mouph! Love it, love it, love it.

I've got a recipe for Sweet Potaot Buns that dates back to the early 19th century, if you'd like it. More like rolls than biscuits, but good nonetheless.

"If I'm not careful, I won't have anything left for pumpkin pie ;)"

In that case, Garden Witch, I don't reckon you'll want my recipe for Pumpkin Cheesecake?

• mellyofthesouth
    18 years ago

We love buns. You're just dangling that bait for me aren't you?

• garden_witch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

yes please!
    There are so many roadside stands selling pumpkins around here, I can get more!

GW

• gardenlad
    18 years ago

Sweet Potato Buns
    (adapted from Mary Randloph's 1823 "The Virginia Housewife)

2 pkg dry yeast
    1/3 cup sugar, divided
    1/2 cup warm water
    1/2 cup cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
    3 tbls butter, softened
    1 tsp salt
    3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    3 3/4-4 1/4 cups flour

Dissolve yeast and 1 tsp sugar in warm water. Let sit five minutes. Add remaining sugar, sweet potatoes, butter, eggs, salt, sinnamon, and half the flour. Beat well until smooth. Stir in enough of remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and kneed ten minutes.

Put dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place util doubled in bulk---about an hour.

Punch dough down; let rest five minutes. Shape into 1 1/2" balls and place two inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Cover and repeat rising procedure.

Bake at 350 for 12 minutes or until golden brown.

Pumpkin Cheesecake

Butter
    2 Eight ounce pkg soft cream cheese
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 1/2 tsp cinnamon'
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
    1/2-3/4 cup sugar (Splenda can be substituted)
    1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
    4 eggs
    1 tsp ginger
    1/4 tsp ground cloves

Prehead oven to 300 degrees F.

Butter bottom and side of a 9 1/2" springform mold. Sprinkle bottom with chopped pecans, distributing evenly.

Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Add pumpkin & sour cream. Beat thoroughly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating aftereach. Add cinnamon, giner, nutmeg, cloves, & salt. Mix thoroughly.

Pour batter over nuts. Bake 60-70 minutes until a knife placed in the center comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes before removing from pan. Chill 2 hours before serving.

I haven't done it, but I imagine Ricotta could be substituted for the cream cheese.

I also like making these (and other cheesecakes) in those little 6" baby springform molds. A typical recipe makes three of them.

• mellyofthesouth
    18 years ago

Thank you!

• annie1992
    18 years ago

GardenLad, I knew I could count on you. :-)

Annie

• garden_witch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanx so much for the recipes =) I think I will start shopping for looser fitting jeans now!

GW

• readinglady
    18 years ago

I only said I didn't like pumpkin butter. Anything else is great with me. Irrational, I know, but . . .

Thanks for the recipes, GardenLad. Those buns sound perfect for a pre-Thanksgiving get-together in the neighborhood.

Also, thanks for mentioning the mini-cheesecake pans for the second recipe. Have you ever tried freezing some of the cheesecakes? I've done it with others and wondered about this one.

Okay, since we're in the recipe mode:

Pumpkin Praline Muffins

Adapted from Muffins A to Z by Marie Simmons and contributed by Swampwitch on the King Arthur Flour Baking Circle.

TOPPING
    3 Tblsp. unsalted butter, melted
    1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 cup coarsely chopped or broken pecans

BATTER
    2 cups unbleached AP flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking powder, sieved
    1/4 cup butter (optional...I added this)
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. ground ginger
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. ground cloves
    1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 cup mashed cooked pumpkin (canned is okay, fresh is even better!)
    1/2 cup unsulphured dark molasses
    1 large egg
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400* F. Spray muffin cups with nonstick spray. Make topping: cream butter, flour and brown sugar together until smooth. Stir in pecans and set aside. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices in a large bowl; stir until well blended. Add the brown sugar and stir to blend. In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, molasses, egg, and vanilla just until evenly moistened. Do not overmix. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Press 1 tablespoonful of the topping onto the top of each muffin. Bake until the edges begin to pull away from the sides and a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before removing from the pan.

This second recipe came from Bon Appetit, October 2001.

PUMPKIN-APPLE STREUSEL CAKE

Apples
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    4 cups diced peeled cored Granny Smith apples (about 4 large)
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Cake
    11/2 cups all purpose flour
    1 cup (firmly packed) golden brown sugar
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
    1/3 cup sour cream
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 large eggs

Vanilla ice cream

For apples:
    Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples; sautuntil apples begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add sugar and cinnamon and sauté until golden brown, about 3 minutes longer. Cool.

For cake:
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan. Combine flour, brown sugar, butter, and salt in large bowl. Using electric mixer, beat until mixture resembles coarse meal. Set aside 2/3 cup of mixture for topping. Beat pumpkin, sour cream, 2 tablespoons sugar, spice, and baking soda into remaining flour mixture, beating just until smooth. Beat in eggs. Transfer batter to pan. Scatter apples evenly over top. Sprinkle reserved topping over apples.

Bake cake until topping is golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack 20 minutes. Run knife around pan sides to loosen cake. Release pan sides from cake. Transfer cake to platter. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.) Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Isn't fall wonderful?

Carol

• gardenlad
    18 years ago

Carol, they freeze just fine. I had thought of mentioning that, but for some reason didn't think it was germane.

Silly of me. :>)

The mini-pans make four nice servings. So, by making several at once, you serve one and freeze the others.

• readinglady
    18 years ago

Thanks GardenLad. I also use the mini-pans for a cheese torta layered with a dried tomato pesto, a basil pesto and sometimes an olive tapenade layer. Nice for the holidays to be able to do the advance prep.

Besides, the last thing we need around here is one humumgous cheesecake sitting around saying "eat me, eat me, eat me"!

Carol

• garden_witch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm warming up the jars now, and the butter tastes wonderful! Its been slow cooking on the stove for about two hours now, the house smells great too =) I used GardenLad's recipe, very easy!

Fall is wonderful, Carol! There is a fruit packing plant just a block away, and soon the entire neighborhood will smell like apples =)~ I love it!

• gardenlad
    18 years ago

Carol, you gonna leave us hanging? Or provide more details on that Cheese Torta? Sounds really great.

Recently, BTW, started making one of the simplest olive tapenades I've ever come across. Tastes just as good as the more complex ones:

3 anchovies
    1 clove garlic, minced (ha! whoever heard of just one clove)
    1 tbls fresh thyme leaves
    1 cup pitted Kalamata olives, plus additional as needed
    1/4 cup (more or less) extra virgin olive oil

Mash the anchovies. Put them with the garlic and thyme in a blender or food processor and puree. Add olives and olive oil and pulse to a smooth paste. If it's too thin, add more pitted olives. It too thick, add more oil.

One thing I do is mix this up, then use it to stuff halved cherry tomatoes. Didn't have any this year, but I figure it would really be spectacular in yellow cherry toms.

• readinglady
    18 years ago

I'll be happy to provide the recipe GardenLad. I hope you don't mind a bit of a wait. I have been digging tomatoes out of the bushes and getting acorn squash in. It's drenching rain here, like working in Noah's flood. I am really, really tired.

We're going to be out of town tomorrow, so tomorrow night or the next day I will.

In fact, I have two recipes for that sort of torta. I'll post both.

Carol

• zabby17
    18 years ago

Oooh, what a lovely, comforting, fall-y thread to come home to after a busy weekend away! I'm looking forward to trying some of these pumpkin recipes. I am not keen on pumpkin pie myself, but I love many other pumpkin and squash things. And I love the way pumpkins look, just generally --- something about them always makes me crack a smile.

Last year (or maybe even the year before), someone posted a recipe for Early American Pumpkin Butter here; I saved the recipe (see below) but didn't note who had posted it (I used to assume I would always remember; now my recipe file is so large I know better!). There was a great deal of discussion about the safety of canning pumpkin butter, and I am quite sure I recall that even some of the master preservers on the list noted that this recipe was from a well respected source and if it says it's safe to can, it should be so. I pass it on, with the caveat that this is only what I remember, and that I haven't tried the recipe myself and am not a food scientist.

I plan to try it this fall, however. But I think I will prefer Garden Lad's less sweet version, even if it means I need to freeze it instead of canning.

Early American Pumpkin Butter
    Makes 5 pints

This recipe makes a perfect holiday gift. The traditional spicing and hint of maple sweetness will enhance old-fashioned holiday meals. For food safety reasons, do NOT reduce the amount of sugar or syrup unless you plan to store the results in the refrigerator.

6 cups cooked sugar pumpkin puree (see instructions below; or two 29-ounce cans pumpkin
    2 cups pure maple syrup (see note)
    2 cups light corn syrup (see note)
    2 cups firmly packed brown sugar (see note)
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 teaspoon ground mace
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Put the pumpkin puree in a large, heavy-bottomed, nonaluminum pot; stir in the maple syrup and corn syrup. When these are thoroughly combined, add the sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, mace and vanilla. Set the pot over medium-high heat. When it begins to boil, partially cover it; the mixture will spatter profusely. Cook at a slow boil, stirring frequently to prevent sticking, until it thickens and turns a darker color, about 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, wash 5 pint jars. Keep hot until needed. Prepare lids as manufacturer directs. Ladle the hot butter into 1 hot jar at a time, leaving 1/4-inch head space. Wipe jar rim with a clean, damp cloth. Attach lid. Fill and close remaining jars. Process in a boiling-water canner for 15 minutes (20 minutes at 1,000 to 6,000 feet; 25 minutes above 6,000 feet).

To make pumpkin puree: Either bake or broil the fruit. Bake whole pumpkins on a cookie sheet in a 350-degree oven until softened and collapsed. (Be sure to poke holes in them first, or they will explode in the oven.) Scoop the pulp away from the peel. Puree the pulp in a blender or food processor. Or, boil peeled chunks of fresh pumpkin until softened, then puree the cooked pulp.

Note: Pumpkin is a low-acid food and needs this amount of sugar and syrup to make it safe to can by the boiling-water canner method. -- Adapted from "The Art of Accompaniment" by Jeffree Sapp Brooks 2003 Oregon Live.

Zabby

• readinglady
    18 years ago

OK, GardenLad, I don't know that these exactly belong on a pumpkin thread but digressing from the topic is pretty routine around the forum, so here we go. I'm including all my notes on the recipes. Both are "works in progress" so maybe my additions will be helpful too.

Torta with Pesto, Tapenade & Sun Dried Tomatoes

Original Source: www.fabulousfoods.com

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Pesto
    1 1/2 cups fresh basil
    3 large garlic cloves
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup Pine nuts (pignolia) -- OR walnuts
    1/2 cup olive oil
    salt and pepper -- to taste

Olive Tapenade
    1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
    3 large garlic cloves -- peeled
    2 teaspoons capers
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaf -- (or 1/4 tsp. dry)
    1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaf -- (or 1/4 tsp. dry)
    1/8 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
    salt and pepper -- to taste

Sun Dried Tomato Purée
    1 10-12 oz. jar oil packed sun dried tomatoes
    1 large garlic clove
    2 tablespoons olive oil (reserved from tomato jar)

Cheese Layer
    8 oz. goat cheese
    2 packages cream cheese -- (8 oz.)
    1 cup butter

Pesto Layer: Put all ingredients except olive oil in a food processor or blender and purée. Slowly pour in the olive oil while continuing to blend.

Olive Tapenade Layer: Put all ingredients except olive oil in a food processor or blender and purée. Slowly pour in the olive oil while continuing to blend.

Sun-Dried Tomato Purée Layer: Drain the tomatoes, reserving 2 tablespoons of the oil. Put all ingredients, including reserved oil, in a food processor or blender and purée.

Cheese Layer: Put all ingredients in a food processor or blender and purée.

Line either one large (6 cup) or two small (3 cup) molds with dampened cheesecloth, leaving enough cloth hanging over the edges to later cover the top. If you don't have any molds, be creative - a flower pot works well or use small deep bowls, or even a rinsed out coffee can.

If you want to be decorative, arrange whole basil leaves, whole olives and/or whole sun dried tomatoes in the bottom of your mold (this will become the top of your dish when it is unmolded).

Layer in thin layers, alternating between the cheese mixture and a topping mixture until mold is filled. Cover top with the excess cheesecloth hanging over the sides. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least six hours or overnight.

To unmold, unfold cheesecloth covering the top of the mold and hang it over the edge. Place a plate over the open end of the mold and invert. Carefully peel the mold off the mixture, then carefully remove and discard the cheese cloth. Serve with crackers or a fresh baguette.

Changes I made:

I used my own homemade pesto recipe and some California Harvest kalamata olive tapenade I had on hand.

In the Sun Dried Tomato Purée I cut the olive oil to 1 T. and enhanced the tomatoes by soaking some additional plain dried tomatoes in boiling water, draining them and blending them in with the rest. Next time I might try a little added tomato paste instead.

For the cheese layer I used 2 3.5 oz. Crottin Montcevri, 1 package of light cream cheese, 1 container mascarpone cheese (both 8 oz. size) and cut the butter to 1/2 cup.

I used a 7-inch springform pan, but I'm going to try to freeze this. If it works, I'll make 3 2-cup molds. I also want to cut back on the oiliness of the layers. I want a bit fresher taste. I think I'll use just the oil that adheres to the tomatoes and cut the other T. plus drain the pesto and the tapenade a bit in a fine mesh sieve before using.

Sun-Dried Tomato and Pesto Cheese Spread

Recipe By : Unknown

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    8 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, oil-packed -- drained
    1 tablespoon oil -- (from tomatoes)
    1/2 cup sun-dried tomato halves
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    4 ounces butter -- softened
    1/2 cup sour cream
    20 ounces cream cheese
    4 cloves garlic -- peeled
    1 1/2 cups basil, fresh
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    1/4 cup pine nuts
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    -- OR for garlic, basil, lemon juice, pine nuts, olive oil substitute 8 oz. my own pesto base
    1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
    Salt and pepper -- to taste

Pour boiling water over plain dried tomatoes. Let sit until soft then drain.

Reserve 2/3 cup cream cheese. Place remaining cream cheese, sour cream and butter in food processor. Blend until fluffy. Place in bowl and set aside.

Blend pesto base, Parmesan cheese and 1/3 cup cream cheese in food processor. Place in bowl and set aside.

Scrape bowl and chop drained sun-dried tomatoes (both plain and oil). Add 1 tablespoon tomato oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar and 1/3 cup cream cheese. Blend until smooth. Grind in salt and pepper to taste.

Put saran wrap on the bottom of 4 4-inch springform pans (or 1 7-inch springform or line a 1 1/2 quart pan or bowl).

Layer 1 pan at a time. Layer 1 cream cheese mixture, layer 2 sun-dried tomato, layer 3 cream cheese mixture, layer 4 pesto, layer 5 cream cheese mixture. Cover with "sticky" saran wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Finish other pans the same.

When unmolded, top can be decorated with pinenuts, basil leaves, sun-dried tomato pieces if desired.

Cover with foil and freeze extra pans.

Yield:
    "5 cups"
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Christmas 2004: I cut butter drastically, added sour cream, elimated tomato paste and used plain sun-dried tomatoes instead, added balsamic vinegar. For tomatoes in oil I used T.J.'s 8.5 ounce jar.

I divided recipe among 4 Wilton mini-springform pans; served 2 and froze 2. Small sizes are nice for buffet service.

• gardenlad
    18 years ago

Both of these sound terrific. Couple of questions, though.

In the first one, if you're using a springform mold, why do you need the cheesecloth lining?

In the second one, you say you eliminated the tomato paste. But there's no tomato paste listed in the ingredients. Ooops?

• readinglady
    18 years ago

Sorry about that, GardenLad. I am an inveterate "recipe tinkerer" and when I typed the recipe in MasterCook I typed what I did (well, mainly) rather than the original recipe.

I found the original, which came from allrecipes.com. Here are the ingredients so you can compare.

INGREDIENTS:
    4 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    1/4 cup pine nuts
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    2 2/3 cups softened cream cheese
    1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    1 1/3 cups sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil, drained
    1/3 cup tomato paste
    3/4 cup butter
    salt and pepper to taste

I pretty routinely cut the butter in these recipes because too much butter and to my taste there's this greasy mouthfeel. I deleted the tomato paste because it seemed bitter and added the sour cream because just cream cheese was too flat. Of course, all this is just personal.

I don't use cheesecloth, which was in the original directions. A warm wet knife blade works fine on the sides. I mean, that's what a springform is for. But I do carefully line the bottom with saran wrap and then clip it in with the sides of the pan. Then when I unmold I remove the sides, flip it over on the plate, lift off the bottom and peel off the saran. Less struggle.

Carol

• gardenlad
    18 years ago

Thanks, Carol.

After posting I realized that that was probably what happened.

Just reading them, I agree. Sounds like there was too much butter.

Meanwhile, getting back to pumpkin, here's a recipe for

Spiced Pumpkin Cake

In a bowl work 1/3 cup shortening until it is soft. Gradually work in 1 cup sugar until the mixture is as smooth as possible and beat in 1 egg thoroughly.

Sift together 2 cups cake flour, 2 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp each of powdered clovers, nutmeg, and salt.

Stir the dry ingredients into the egg mixture alternately with 3/4 cup pumpkin puree mixed with 1/4 cup milk. Stir in 1 cup raisins and pour the batter into a well-oiled loaf pan.

Bake the cake in a moderate oven (350) for about an hour, or until the loaf tests done. Let the cake rest about 15 minutes and remove from the pan.

• dldx2_aol_com
    18 years ago

I was searching the web for a homemade alternative to the pricey but delectible Muirhead Pecan Pumpkin butter. Thank goodness for you all :) I have high hopes for the above recipie. Had to add this recipie for Pumpkin dessert squares...I got it from william sonoma ..darn them for giving out the free samples, that led me to buy a $9 pumpkin butter.

1 box yellow cake mix
    1/2 c. melted butter
    3 Lg. eggs
    1 jar muirhead pumpkin pecan butter 13.5 oz(or homemade alternative)
    1/8 c. milk
    1 Tbs flour
    1/4 C. sugar
    1/4 C. butter
    1 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9x13 pan.
    Reserve 1 cup of the yellow cake mix. Mix the remaining cake mix with 1/2 cup melted butter and 1 egg. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan.
    Mix 1 jar of the pumpkin butter with 2 large eggs and 1/8 c. milk. Pour over the cake mixture in the pan.
    Mix the reserved cup of the cake mixture with 1 Tbs. flour, 1/4 c. sugar, 1/4 c. butter and 1 tsp. cinnamon. Mix with a pastry blender until butter is pea sized and mixture clumps together. Crumble over the top of the pumpkin mixture.
    Bake in preheated over for 35-40 minutes or until golden.

Very Very good

copied from above----
    Spiced Pecan & Pumpkin Butter

Pumpkin is one of the few things put up in cans that can be commended to even the fussiest cook. The butter is delectable on toast or any hot bread, or on pancakes, waffles, of French toast in place of syrup. It's also delicious over ice cream or frozen yogurt.

If you have a fresh "pie" or sugar pumpkin-not a jack o' lantern variety, which will be both watery and stringy after cooking-prepare it by paring, cubing, and steaming until very tender (this can be done in a covered casserole in the oven), then pushing the flesh through a sieve or the fine disk of a food mill. If the pureed pumpkin is too moist-which it is if liquid quickly seeps from a sample spooned onto a plate-line a colander with cheesecloth and drain the puree for a hour or so. To make enough puree for this recipe, start with a good-sized pumpkin, say 5 pounds.

Hard-fleshed winter squash (Hubbard, etc.) can be used instead of pumpkin; prepare it in the same way.

Zest (outer peel only, no white pith) of 1 orange, or zest of 1/2 orange and 1/2 lemon, removed in wide strips with a swivel peeler

1 large can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin plus 1/2 cup water, or 3-1/2 to 4 cups pumpkin puree prepared from scratch (see the headnote)

2 cups (packed) light brown sugar or
    1-1/2 cups (packed) light brown sugar plus 1/2 cup mild honey or light corn syrup

3 tablespoons strained fresh orange juice
    3 tablespoons strained fresh lemon juice
    1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    Pinch of ground cloves
    1/3 cup pecans or walnuts, lightly toasted and grated or very finely chopped

Makes about 5 cups

1. Simmer the orange zest in 2 cups water in a sauce pan for 10 minutes, then drain it and mince it to a fine pulp. Measure out 1 tablespoon and reserve.

2. Combine in a heavy-bottomed stainless-steel or other nonreactive saucepan the pumpkin (and water, if canned pumpkin is used), orange zest, sugar, orange juice, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt, allspice ginger, and cloves. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; lower the heat and simmer the mixture, stirring it very often with a wooden spatula, until it has become very thick, about 15 minutes. Sample the butter and add a little more of any or all of the spices, if you like (remember, the flavors will blossom in storage). Add more sweetening if your tastebuds request it.

• karen_b
    18 years ago

These recipes all sound sooo good I can't make up my mind which to try first. I just dried 2 long neck pumpkins for pies this thanksgiving, I guess I am going to be rehydrating sooner than I thought.

Karen

• reese1230
    18 years ago

Hey everyone, just do what I do. I don't have time to cook pumpkin. I go to Krispy Kreme and get pumpkin cake doughnuts. They are the best I've ever had. I get enough to freeze for all year long. Also try the pumpkin pancakes at IHOP. They are soooo good.

• micropropagator
    18 years ago

I found your spices and ideas useful. Here is the OatBase I cook nearly every morning.
    70 grams each of oatmeal, cornmeal, soy bean meal from feed mill (solvent extracted oilless meal for hog feed)
    200 to 400 grams pumpkin - often from freezer
    200 to 400 grams pumpkin - often from freezer
    Cook 50 minutes in microwave until sweet potato is somewhat tender. Stir and cool; may be quite solid. Can store in freezer for quick drinks or foods.
    I use this as a base for soups, veg stews, many dishes.
    Mostly I add cocoa, or spices to make smoothies and hot drinks. An example; use 1/8 of the above OatBase. one banana or 1/4 to 1/2 cup of any fruit (plum is very good), or pumpkin spices, or one heaping teaspoon of cocoa, add sweenter if you must, add a little dry skim milk, add water or ice as desired, or heat for a hot drink after blending in a powerful blender (800 watts is economical).
    I am a plant breeder. I am doing research on pumpkins and corn for use in above OatBase. I am interested in trading seeds for this breeding program. Has anyone grown hull-less oats. My main interest is using my garden to reverse heart disease.
    EdelRoots@wmconnect.com

• owlandbear
    17 years ago

In the recipe for Sweet Potato Buns, you don't list eggs in the ingredient list, but the directions say to add eggs. How many eggs are needed?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH