SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
delairen

Uses for Pumpkin Juice? Also, Pumpkin Butter...

delairen
13 years ago

After the holidays, I came across a lady who had several cooking pumpkins leftover from her holiday Farm Stand. When I told her that I liked to can and preserve, she gave me several cooking pumpkins. Not sure of exact varieties, heirlooms of some kind - I didn't ask as I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. ;-)

I cooked the first pumpkin yesterday, and ended up with a fair amount of pumpkin flesh, but also a lot of liquid - approximately 3 quarts, to be specific. I was kind of toying with the idea of some kind of Pumpkin Jelly, and was wondering if anyone had ever made anything like that? Some poking around on google yielded tons of Pumpkin Jelly Roll recipes, but nothing incredibly useful.

I still have another four pumpkins to make use of as well, so without trying to start a controversy, since I know there are some hardcore food safety people on here, I'm wondering about canning Pumpkin Butter. I understand that it's not recommended by USDA, so please no lectures, I'm just wondering of those people out there that do can Pumpkin Butter, what kind of guidelines do you follow?

Del

Comments (7)