SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Blue ribbons for everything!

2ajsmama
12 years ago

Woohoo! I entered 12 jars of canned goods in Grange fair in town today, every single one won blue ribbon (though 3 were "collections")! OK, it was a small fair but larger than the one I entered (Annie's Salsa, blackberry jam, and pickles) last year. I'm thinking of going 1 step up and entering a regional fair (with entry fees) next month...

The winners:

Collection of 3 jams: Black and Blue (blackberry and blueberry)

Triple Berry (blackberry, raspberry, black raspberry)

Caramel Apple (from Linda Z's book)

Collection of 3 jellies: Elderberry (with homemade apple pectin)

Paradise (no added pectin)

Blueberry-Black Currant (made with Welch's juice and Ball N-S pectin)

Collection of 3 preserves: Peach Vanilla Almond (thanks Melly!)

Strawberry (Linda Z)

Blueberry Lime (my recipe adapted from Linda Z's)

Individual jars: Tomato-Pineapple Jam (my adaptation of Ball Complete/Farm Journal recipes)

Carrot Cake Jam (forget who posted this - was this from Ball Complete? I haven't checked it against the book but was asked for the recipe)

"Hatz" (hot) Sauce from Joy of Pickling

Many thanks to Linda Z (love your books!), Carol, Annie and others who have posted recipes and helped me with techniques and tips for making no-pectin jams (I admit the jellies need work, might not enter these same jars in next fair since they're a little loose, but got the blue ribbon today I think for clarity and depth of color - I was complimented on how pretty they looked with the sun shining through the window behind the open shelves - and I didn't place the shelves!).

Comments (8)