SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

Making a new bed out of lawn- how I do it

annafl
15 years ago

Some time ago I showed a new path we made out of poorly performing lawn. A few of you asked me to show how we do it next time we did it. Well, after receiving a new load of wood chip mulch, my DH and I set to work and got rid of about 700-800 sq ft of lawn in 3 areas. This is one of the 3 areas, and is about 250-300 sq feet.

Knowing this will be a planting bed, and not having a lot of organic materials readily available right now, I started by pruning things around the yard and throwing them on the lawn. I try to do this every week before I mow. In this way, I recycle the nutrients into my yard and send less stuff to the landfill. I had just gotten started here, but this shows the idea.

A few days later, I did the same thing, but quite thick in the areas I want to kill. This also gave me another layer of organic material, and another layer of block.

This photo shows a lot of stuff. You can see how I sculpted the bed with the hose and how the cardboard was laid down. Usually we don't have as much cardboard as we need at one time, so you can see several steps at once. Here you can see where the first areas covered have mulch on top already, the next area is getting the cardboard laid down, and the closest area is still lacking cardboard, but has the prunings still showing. We are sure to leave the sprinkler heads uncovered as we go, and we are careful to overlap the edges of the cardboard by about 6 inches so no grass peeks through.

This is the finished area from the front. It is ready to plant any time we want. These bromeliads were planted by digging a hole with the shovel, thru the cardboard and into the dirt.

This is the back of the new bed. You can see there is quite a bit of new planting space. Some of it will be path also. Now I need to go shopping!

I mowed today, and it was great having less lawn to mow. Those areas were weak, ugly grass anyway, and now they will eventually be pretty.

Anna

Comments (17)