SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erdmanski1341

Are my peppers safe?

erdmanski1341
9 years ago

I grew some pepperoncinis this year and decided to try pickling them along with some sliced jalape�os. I found a recipe :

3 cups vinegar
3 cups water
Tbsp Sea salt
Garlic cloves
Tbsp Olive oil
Spices -Dill, peppercorns, coriander, etc.

I followed the recipe by boiling the jars and lids and getting the vinegar, water and salt brine to boil. I added the peppers, garlic and other spices to the jars and then covered in the brine. The recipe added a Tbsp of olive oil to each jar at the end. I sealed the jars and the recipe said no need to process so I let them be.

The jars sealed properly, but then I got to reading about botulism and the thought of a pickled pepper being my last meal didn't sit well, so the following night I decided to process the jars (~20 hrs).

I popped the seals, cleaned the rims of the jars, re-covered and boiled the jars for 10 minutes. Once again the jars sealed fine, but I still was nervous. I figured the peppers would get eaten with a few weeks, so i refrigerated them after a few hours when they were cooled.

The jars are all sealed and my fridge is cold enough that the olive oil has solidified at the top, so would you eat these peppers? The vinegar ratio and being refridgerated the whole time makes me think there shouldnt be an issue and the internet might just have me paranoid, but some reassurance from this community wouldn't hurt.

Comments (4)