SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Keeping my lamps safe from my kids

lkplatow
15 years ago

After 7 years of empty side tables, I've decided to invest in some actual lamps. I've been a little afraid to do this because I have kids (2, ages 4 and 7). They aren't intentionally destructive, but they've been known to engage in more than a little sofa jumping or ball throwing in the house and I'm sure the lamp would not come out the victor in any sort of accidental contact.

So anyhow, I ordered some lamps from Pottery Barn (shhhh...don't tell anyone, but I have un-unique lamps) and they've been sitting in a box in my basement for 6 months, the only place I KNEW they'd be safe. Yesterday I decided to take one out just to, you know, see what it looked like. And wow - it looks so nice to have a lamp on the side table. So I'm thinking of flying in the face of danger and getting the other one out too.

Now these are tall skinny lamps with mica shades, and they've been discontinued, so if one gets broken, the pair is kind of useless cause there's no replacing it. I'm wondering if there's something I can use under the base of the lamp to protect it from tipping (or being knocked) over. And if, perhaps, there's something I can use to similarly attach my end tables to the hardwood floor (they're tall skinny end tables and prone to tipping because that's all I could fit next to the sofa, since there's doorways on either side).

Or should I just pack the lamp back up and spend a few more years in the dark with empty side tables?

Comments (20)