SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reba_grows

Eggplant relish frm Small Batch Preserving-safe? + zuke/cuke sub?

reba_grows
15 years ago

I know I've seen "Small Batch Preserving" recommended many times here but have also seen problems with pickle/relish recipes to can, using oil or little vinegar. I have tried to use the search engine here, but I really need to know if these specific 3 recipes seem safe.

I only listed the prime ingredients (assume various spices) and also all are BWB processed for 15 min for half pints, 20 for pint, under 1,000 feet (or 20 and 25 for me since I am above that).

The recipes are:

1) Madras Pickled Eggplant- 2 lbs eggplant, 2 cloves garlic, 2-4 chili/jalepeno peppers. The veggies/spices are cooked with 1/3 cup oil, 1 and 1/4 cups white vinegar and 1 cup white sugar;

2) Caponata- 1 small eggplant, 2 large tomatoes, 1 cup diced zucchini, 1/2 cup onion, 3 large cloves garlic, 1/4 cup stuffed olives, 1 TBS capers, 2 TBS tomato paste, cooked with 1/3 cup red wine vinegar and 2 tsp each oil and sugar;

3) Brinjal Pickle Relish- 1 eggplant, 2-3 hot chilies, 3 large cloves garlic, cooked with 1/3 cup sugar, 3/4 cup vinegar and 1/3 cup oil

A general relish question-

I like a thick style relish. Could I use some Clear Jel, instead of having to cook 30 plus minutes until it's 'my desired consistancy', which is thicker. If that sounds reasonable, how much would I use for example, in Linda-Lou's Zucchini Relish , (6 pints made with 10 cups zukes, 3 c onion, 2 bell peppers, 2 and 1/2 c vinegar and 4 and 1/2 cups sugar plus spices).

And lastly... I have no cucumbers but tons of yellow & green zucchini.

Can I substitute zucchinis for cucumbers in pickle/relish recipes? I know Linda Lou said ok to sub cukes for zucchinis as cukes are a little more acidic than zukes. But then does that make a difference when I need/want to use zukes not cukes? (assuming a good vinegar/sugar to veggie ratio, and I use recipes that are straight vinegar no water).

New eggplant/zukes/cukes en masse in the fridge are eagerly awaiting (as am I) an answer from from the 'experts' (and you know who you are) here.

Tomorrow I do Linda Lou's Zucchini Relish!!

Thanks so much.

Rebecca

Comments (5)