SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eddie1025

Pickle Crisp (Calcium Chloride) Questions

eddie1025
9 years ago

I have some questions that I can't seem to find answers to anywhere after hours of searching his forum and the internet.

1) Will pickle crisp affect flavor?

I used the recommended amount in jars of watermelon pickles. They have an odd chemical taste to them. I used lime (the fruit, not the chemical) instead of lemon in the recipe but I really doubt that the acrid taste was from that substitution.

2) How long does it take pickle crisp to work?

I opened a jar after two days and the pickles are not any more crisp than the batch done without pickle crisp. In fact, they are mushier. Still a good texture but certainly not crisper. I'm wondering if I haven't let the pickle crisp work long enough. I know that lime (the chemical, not the fruit) will make things very crisp in just 24 hours but I can't seem to find any information about how long pickle crisp takes.

3) Does the thickness of the syrup in this recipe interfere with how pickle crisp works? The watermelon rind recipe has a lot of sugar in it and is much thicker than a regular brine. I'm wondering if this is preventing the pickle crisp from migrating around in the jar.

Thanks much for any insights you might have. I consider myself an expert canner and I've never had a batch of these pickles fail before. Just trying to avoid wasting all the time and ingredients next time. The bright side is that the first batch of pickles is out of this world good!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus