SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kn_mcnulty

yucky tomatoes and canning

kn_mcnulty
14 years ago

Hello!

I have a question about canning with some yucky tomatoes. My husband and I are not avid tomato eaters, but planted several plants two years ago. These plants took over one end of our garden through self-seeding, and we've just let them kind of scramble around these past two summers. This summer in particular they've cross pollinated to create some really bitter and nasty tasting fruit--roma/cherry/beefsteak mixes all. Well, I finally got sick of looking at them (and smelling) yesterday and began pulling the plants to compost. My husband lost it quite seriously. Now, he absolutely does not eat tomatoes except for in cooking--in particular, he thinks he's going to use all of these horrible tomatoes (many of which were overripe anyways)to can pasta sauce. Long story short, what can I tell him to convince the most stubborn man in the world otherwise? I know the overripe tomatoes won't have the correct acid content for proper canning (and really--we're dealing with somebody who thinks canning and cooking them will reduce the horrible taste). Anything creative would be awesome! Anything at all--this is going to quickly turn into a nightmare!

Please!!!

-Kristin

Comments (7)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor