SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cannedam

Dead fish, cinder blocks, yucky water .... help

cannedam
15 years ago

I had blogged our water garden here:

http://cannedam.blogspot.com/2008/05/water-garden.html if you want to see what we did and what we added.

A month ago I added barley straw (as the package instructed) because of algae.

Recently (a week ago) I removed some of the water hyacinth as my two plants had become TWELVE!! and they were choking everything else out.

The only water movement we have is from the pond fountain when direct sunlight hits it from about 8 am til 2 pm as long as it's not overcast. Recently also, the fountain has been spending a bit of time out of the pond (thanks to the water hyacinth multiplying so rapidly and leaving little room for it.) I tried to keep it in there as much as possible, but I know there have been days when the water garden didn't get that bit of water circulation that it offers.

Yesterday, fish were gasping at the surface as if for air. I figure they were. I changed out some of the water, but didn't want to do too much and upset the temperature horribly. As I did this I noticed the pond REEKED -- just a fowl smell, that I hadn't noticed before.

This morning, the fish were dead. I started the work of emptying the pond (stopped when I couldn't stomach the stench any longer).

I'm going to finish emptying with a pump this evening.

I'm going to repot the plants as I figure the soil is contaminated with whatever nastiness is in the water.

I'm going to remove the cinderblocks and find a different way to shelve the plants.

I have eliminated more of the water hyacinth as it's a bully. I do not like it. I doubt it will ever flower there, either. I will take it out if someone can suggest to me a good oxygenating plant to replace it with.

I do want to add fish again.

Can anyone offer any other suggestions? (I do have water conditioner to add before adding fish again.)

Anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance,

Rachel

What else do I need to do?

Comments (12)