SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fgilles02420

algae treatment safe for plants+fish?

fgilles02420
19 years ago

Can anyone recommend a product that will treat 'green water' that is safe for aquarium plants and fish?

Now before I get the lectures on "dumping chemicals in your tank is no substitute for good husbandry", please read:

This tank is fully cycled, set up last July. Its 75g, had a single fluorescent 32w tube, no direct sun at all, regular gravel substrate. Our tap water is soft by nature but water company adds sodium carbonate to raise pH so lead doesn't leach out of pipes. My tank pH is stable at 7.4.

I started with 6 black mollies. Waited 4-6 weeks, added 8 zebra danios. Waited another 4-6 weeks, added 4 platies and somewhere in there added 2 bristlenose plecos, plus Java moss. Changed 10 gallons a week during this time. Platies now number around 9. Mollies are all deceased, leaving me with 9 platies/8 danios/8 serpaes/2 bristlenose.

All was fine - and I mean water was perfectly clear - until I added a school of 8 serpae tetras, after the tank had been set up for a number of months. Green water slowly appeared (I never get any surface/slime algae, apparently due to the diligence of the plecos). I tried darkening the tank, large water changes - no luck. Finally I drained the tank, rinsed the gravel, refilled - green water reappeared in ten days.

So, I drained the tank again, rinsed the gravel, refilled and started a regime of water changes, 20g every 3-4 days. And the green water still came back. If I test the water after 7 days of no water changes I get ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrates probably around 5. I wouldn't have thought the number of fish I have overstocks the tank?

I have increased the light to 1watt/gal by adding a two tube fixture. I have ordered more plants (java fern, anubias, etc) to try to outcompete the algae - if the guy on Ebay ever decides to send them to me. I have wondered if the plecos are so good at removing the regular algae that grows on surfaces, that instead I grow green water?

But in the meantime, can anyone recommend a safe algicide that won't harm my fish? I'm looking at this as a temporary measure until I can get plants established, not something I intend to do on a permanent basis.

Note:I have a separate ten gallon tank which does not have this problem and gets the same treated tap water, has the same substrate. It does grow the surface type of algae, as the only residents right now are 3 danios who are cycling the tank in preparation for its eventual betta fish resident.

Thanks in advance,

Frances

Comments (8)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES