SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shirleywny5

As good as it gets-My H&D taste alike

shirleywny5
17 years ago

I am just now processing the last of the Red Pepper jam my family and friends love and beg for. Did a total of 78 jars. Most are 8oz. and a few 4oz. Always have a 4oz. ready in case there's not enough to fill an 8oz. jelly jar. Yesterday and today I did my last bushel of red peppers, all into jam. Every batch is Lot# numbered and any changes made are written in a note book I keep just for that purpose. I do this with all my canned good. My last batch today is the last try at my H&D pepper,onion relish taste alike. I've made 4 batches of this already this season and I think I have got it about where I want it.

If anyone is interested or even gives a dang, here is my recipe.

I used my Cuisinart to chop all the peppers. Tomatoes were peeled, seeded and diced very small. The onion was diced using the Julienne blade of my V-slicer.

12 med Red bell peppers

10 jalapenos

5 assorted green, yellow or red hot peppers

5 large plum tomatoes

1 large onion. Any kind will do.

2 cups white vinegar

3 cups granulated sugar

Remove seeds and white membrane from red peppers

Remove HALF the seeds from the jalapenos

Remove half the seeds from the other hots.

Chop peppers in food processor

Place in bowl with prepared tomatoes and onion. Sprinkle with 1 Tbls. canning salt. Let stand about 1 hour.

Drain off liquid. I use my quart capacity strainer with a handle. The holes are smaller than my colander. You don't want any of the small pepper pieces falling through.

Place peppers, onions and tomatoes in cooking pot and add sugar and vinegar. Cook over medium heat until thick as you like. Usually 30 or 45 minutes is plenty. You can almost tell by the texture.

Ladle into jam jars and seal.

Process 20 minutes in Hot water bath.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting