SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crlitberg

Pickled eggplant recipe

CaraRose
10 years ago

I made one pint of this as one of my first canning recipes. I haven't opened the can yet, but since now I'm hanging out here, I've come to be more weary in assuming any recipe is okay.

I'm assuming since this is a uncut vinegar brine, it's probably a safe recipe?

Pickled Eggplant with Mint and Garlic

2 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
1 1/2 pounds eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1/4 cup mint leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons pickling salt

Procedures

Prepare a small canning pot and 2 pint jars. Place 2 new lids in a small pot of water and bring to the barest simmer.

Pour vinegar into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Once it boils, add eggplant and simmer for 2-3 minutes.

When time is up, remove eggplant cubes from vinegar with a slotted spoon and place them in a bowl. Add garlic, mint and salt and stir to combine.

Pack eggplant into jars and top with boiling vinegar, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.

Tap jars gently to remove any trapped air bubbles. If necessary, add more brine to return the headspace to 1/2 inch.

Wipe rims, apply lids and rings and process jars in a boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes (start your timer when the water returns to a boil, not when the jars first go in).

When time is up, remove jars from canner and let cool on a folded kitchen towel.

When jars are cool enough to handle, remove rings and test seals by grasping edges of lids and carefully lifting jars. If lids hold fast, seals are good.

Store jars in a cool, dark place. They are ready to eat within 1 week, but can be kept up to one year.

Comments (2)