SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedlady_gw

Raspberry JELLY possible w/o added pectin?

weedlady
11 years ago

I have been making rasp jam for years and never add pectin.I always prefer jam to jelly becasue I hate wasting so much of the fruit! (Of course, now I have a worm bin so I am sure the "waste" would delight the herd! Still...)

But this year both my dad and a neighbor expressed a wish for seedless jelly, hence my search for a recipe. As I perused my various canning books, none listed seedless jelly w/o added pectin.

Now, I have no real objection to using pectin, I just am wondering if there actually is some reason the product would not jell without help? I always use a mix of some underripe berries to be sure of enough pectin. But is the presence (or not) of the seeds a factor?

Also, rather than use a cheesecloth jelly bag, I used my Villaware food mill to strain out the seeds, thinking that would be quicker and that way I would not waste as much pulp (I do not care at all if the jelly is "clear and jewel-like" --it's just that the seeds are an issue.)

I was not happy with how much pulp was left behind, though, so after making one batch (with powdered pectin, following the jelly recipe from the package) and seeing there was not enough for another, I added some water (not much, maybe a half-cup)to that and hung it in a bag. But a couple of hours later, not much had happened, and I had to do a lot of squeezing to get the juice out. But now I do have a full quart to work with.

I don't want to end up with just syrup (talk about WAIST!--LOL), so can anyone clear pectin/no pectin dilemma up?

Many thanks!!

Comments (7)