SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

A Big Mess in the Garden Landscape Project (many pictures)

16 years ago

If any of you are also part of the AHS e-mail robin, then you have probably read about my adventures putting in a terraced garden near my kitched door. There used to be a broken down concrete wall covered with ivey. I was going to redo it in the spring but decided to tackle it this fall instead. Since it turned into such a big do, much more than anything I had attempted so far, it was a wise decision to do it in October and get it over with. Especially as it did NOT go smoothly are there were numberous delays.

As of now, the concrete and rubble that were supposed to be hauled away last week, is still on my driveway and in back of the garage. The garden, which is the terrace work, is fortunately done. Of course it needs to be planted next spring but at least its there too put plants in.

So take a look at pictures of the mess, and I warn you it was a mess, and the result of the most ambitious idea to date.

After digging out the ivey and throwing the remains of the concrete wall on the diveway (and in back of the garage) terrace work was started. The big rock you see near the stoop on the left was in the garden were they were digging.

You can see were I had a garden up on top of the used to be wall, which garden collapsed when they started work and plants did slide down the hill. What was there originally was an ivey wall going straight accross from the steps to the wall of the garage with a perrenial garden at the foot of the wall.

Before work was even started, the first thing was to dig and transplant shrubs, roses and flowers at the base of the old ivey wall.

The landscape blocks you see were the first of four trips to get blocks to finish the project.

The new terraced gardens bring the first terrace out and enlarge the garden from what was there before so that the garden starts off as a raised garden instead of being grass level. This was terrace one and the straight wall you see the blocks starting in this picture is terrace three. There will be a terrace between these two.

Rubble in back of garage that is still there today waiting to be hauled away.

A better look at the plants falling down the hill!

Surprise. Looks better now done. You can see the stairs going up to the upstairs part of my property in this shot too and they were completely redone. Look so much better than before!

You can nicely see the bottom two rounded terraces, terrace one and two. Then you can see terrace three at the top of the straight wall were a butterfly bush and lavender clump were replanted. That section is a staight garden two feet wide and it goes about twenty feet long. The bottom terrace is about twenty three feet long as it takes in a section in front of the garage too so therefore the extra length.

At the very top the actual grade of the land on top makes the forth and final terrace.

Different angle.

Looking towards my kitchen patio.

I am standing on the stairs. The straw in the left of the shot is terrace number three and I am looking at the replanted daylilies on the top level.

I am at the very top looking down along the daylily garden which has been planted in a long row along the forth and last terrace. The messey dirt used to be lawn but soil had to be put on top of the lawn to level it to the last terrace as it used to be more slopped and is now more level. Will put lawn back next to the daylily garden.

Not done yet but need to take more pictures to show more progress. I have really had it with projects this year. Ugg!

Comments (13)