SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bcjen

What would you do to landscape this mess: privacy vs pretty?

bcjen
13 years ago

Hello gardeners,

I am hoping you all can help me out with my front yard, as I am at a loss.

We moved into a cottage-like house on the lake, and I want to maintain that feel. We've got a lot of trees in front, which we like because of the privacy and the shade. HOWEVER, I have no idea what to do landscape-wise to make it look inviting, and like someone actually lives there Lol.

What we have:

Trees

Brush

A driveway that stretches across the entire front (gravel with railroad ties as a semi-retaining wall)

A path down the left-hand side that leads to the house

A path/driveway on the right-hand side that leads to the attached guest house.

What we want:

To keep the English-garden cottage feel.

An area to put a house number.

A distinguished bed/beds for flowers, shrubs, etc.

To maintain the privacy.

I'm in Zone 3, and I would be open to creating some beds, planting perennials, shrubs or even vegetables, anything, really, as it gets a lot of sun. At the moment, you can't really see the house for the trees and bushes, and it looks like no one lives here! I don't mind sacrificing a little privacy, but my significant other wants to keep it entirely private, so some compromising may be in order ;) And ideas would be appreciated more than you could possibly know!

Here is the link to my photos on Flickr, as I'm not sure how to post pics here just yet. http://www.flickr.com/photos/92079300@N00/sets/72157624444583982/ Thanks in advance and cheers!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr Photo Set

Comments (7)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio