SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raro_gw

big mess up on paths - question on bed now well below grade

raro
12 years ago

Ugggg! Too upset to take pics to post. The metal edging and rock sand (or is it called sand rock, elsewhere I mistakenly called it sand stone) were installed so poorly and not to measurement. The paths vary in width and they were supposed to be 48" wide for the length of it. Installer insists it was done correctly because paths followed rough spray painting we did to mark the path. Also, I specified that they should be installed at grade to match the bed along the garage that has the apricot espalier and other perennials. But they installed the path so that the edge closest to the bed is a full foot above the bed. They said I could put topsoil up to the edge of the path but then it will slope steeply down to the bed within a space of a couple of feet. I guess I could put an edge around the bed and then the path and the grass next to the path would be level instead of sloping. Would it ever be acceptable to have an edged bed that is lower than the surrounding grade? I hate how it looks but if they won't agree to fix it at their expense I am afraid I will have to live with it for a while.

Sorry for the rant. I can't help myself right now. The main question here is about the grade level for a garden bed, whether it could be lower than the rest of the immediate vicinity?

Comments (7)