SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bamboo_rabbit

Ok fess up....

bamboo_rabbit
13 years ago

Who here grows weeds? Who has a soft spot in their hearts and grows a plant that others consider a weed? I know I can't be the only one to do so.

In my case the plant is known by a few names, Shepherd's needles, Spanish needles or beggartick. Personally I call it Bidens Alba and always leave a patch of it unmowed off to the side in the back. While not a showy plant exactly it does bloom profusely with dainty white flowers and the bees love it. My rabbits also love the plant and it grows so fast it never runs out. Some might be surprised that it is also quite tasty for us humans, well at least this human. The flowers and greens are both edible. The greens taste like, well, greens and the flowers and buds have just a hint of sweetness to them. I find myself nibbling them when working in the yard. My wife does not care much for the greens....she is a city girl and the fact it is a "weed" is hard for her to let go. She though does like the flowers and they make a great addition to salads and as a very tasty edible garnish. I love it cooked just like spinach with a bit of ninegar added. The greens are better of course in the spring but I find the very top new growth quite good any time of the year as well as the buds and flowers. To the rabbits they consider the plant candy and devour it at any time of the year. It probably is their second favorite after cilantro.

Comments (37)