SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettylu_zone6a

Thanks for the advice! Success at moving mature hosta!

bettylu_zone6a
14 years ago

Thanks to all who offered advice on moving my mature hosta... I went on vacation for a week just as this early spring was causing the leaves to leap out of the ground, came back as the leaves were just unfurling and was still able to move the Blue Mammoth and Sum & Substance and neither appears to be having any setbacks yet (after one week). I have NEVER had such a time digging - the hosta were located about 2-3 feet from where I removed a maple tree 4 years ago. I had hoped all the roots would be rotted, but nooooo - they were still unbelieveably intact and nearly impossible to chop into.

I decided to move the entire Blue Mammoth since the new front yard bed I prepared for it last fall was more than roomy enough for it and it looks fantastic highlighted by the low stone accent circle. This entire bed was sparse grass last year... little by little I am reaching my goal of only having lawn in the middle of the front yard - next lawn area to go is the last little patch in the back yard!

The S&S I split it in two pieces and put 1/2 where the Blue Mammoth came from, and replanted the other 1/2 back in the same spot (on the side of a small pond). Hopefully it will be happy there for another 8 years!

Thanks again to all, especially Ken, whose sage advice I kept in mind as I was struggling to dig up, lift, and move these giant root balls - if a hosta can survive being "thrown on the driveway", surely my struggles to remove it from around the old maple roots shouldn't be a problem!

BettyLu

Comments (8)