SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wrestlingmom_gw

How do I temporarily move a mature rose bush?

wrestlingmom
12 years ago

Hi--

I could use some advice from rose experts, so thanks so much in advance. We moved to the country last fall, and our new (old) farmhouse has a number of huge, very neglected flower beds filled with perennials nearly being choked out by button weeds and brome grass. I'm pretty sure it's brome grass anyway--it seems to grow by rhizome, and it would make sense for this area. I pulled and weeded what I could last fall, but I'm going to have to either cover or spray the brome grass to kill it. My plan is to transplant everything out to pots or to a test bed this spring, kill the grass, amend the soil, and then move everything back (along with additional plants). I'll mulch to control weeds from this point on.

Here's my concern--I'm very comfortable moving most of the perennials (daylilies, peonies, iris, etc.) but I'm worried about the shrub roses--there are close to 40 of them scattered throughout the different beds. Some were still tagged (knockouts, meidilands) and others weren't, but appear to be older varieties of hardy shrub roses. I'm not a completely novice gardener, but I'm no pro, especially when it comes to roses. I know the best time to move them is in the spring when they're dormant, but would it be better to pot them up short term and then replant later, or plant them in the test garden for a full year and move them again next spring, or heel them in the garden during the weeks that it will take to get the brome grass killed? I live in eastern Nebraska, so I also have to be concerned about the temperature moving from a few weeks of cool spring to hot and dry pretty rapidly. I need to save what I can--I can't afford to replace them all, and even with the weeds they were beautiful blooming when we first looked at the house in June. My other issue is that it may take a few additional weeks to get the other perennials moved out before I can kill the grass--I'd like to save as many of them as I can, but they won't all come up until after the roses should be moved. My budget for new plants is tight--we're working on the interior of the house at the same time--so again, I need to salvage what I can.

How would you proceed? Thanks so much in advance!

Comments (7)