SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wildworldwoman

groundcover options

wildworldwoman
15 years ago

Good morning, beautiful gardeners! At our new home in Orlando (we still haven't moved in yet, but it's close.... it's very, very close!), our front yard is just about the only place that gets "full sun." My SIL saw a picture of the house from about 10 years ago, and the entire front yard, other than the driveway, was covered in wedalia. Ugh! I love the flowers, but it sure can get out of control in a hurry. Also, I'm interested in plants that are "Florida friendly." My SIL wants to duplicate the wedalia look, so I've been searching for a replacement groundcover for that area.

It looks like dune sunflower (Helianthus debilis) would be a good substitute, and then I found ornamental peanut (Arachis glabrata) and got really excited! We do have a smaller area in the back yard that gets plenty of afternoon sun, and ornamental peanut instead of the "G" word, especially since it can be mowed, would be WONDERFUL! I would absolutely LOVE not having any grass anywhere, or at least reducing the amount of grass to almost nothing.

Please share your experiences with both of these groundcovers. Any other ideas for low-growing groundcovers, especially ones that flower?

Namaste!

Langley

Comments (9)