SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mnfe2

Ground Cover options?

mnfe2
14 years ago

I have not done a lot of gardening, as we fairly recently bought our first house. There is ivy in a small bed in front as well as under/on the trees in the front yard. The ivy has grown up the brick on the house and chimney. There's evidence that it was removed once before, all the way up. I want to eradicate the ivy. I think it's destructive and we have a tendril that's found it's way into the basement.

I'd like to remove the ivy as much as I can and then plant some new ground cover where it is in order to (try to?) compete with the ivy. From looking at pictures, I think it's English Ivy. We have small children so I'd prefer to avoid strong chemicals, where possible.

Any suggestions? I've tried looking up my zone and I get anywhere from 7-9, I'm about halfway between Renton and Issaquah. I'd like something low maintenance, preferably that flowers. Our soil has a LOT of rocks in it, but otherwise feels pretty sandy under the layer of top soil the previous owner put down. The area I'm looking to start with is pretty defined and contained (the ivy hasn't escaped from it yet, anyway). I wouldn't mind something growing up our brickwork as long as it's safe and doesn't promote pests. The mortar was recently tuckpointed so it's in good shape and we want to keep it that way. We also have a lot of deer around, so something they don't like and is pretty shade tolerant. The spot I'm starting with is partial sun, but I'd like to eventually get rid of the ivy under the trees as well.

Oh, and it should have blue flowers. Per my daughter. :)

I have a ton of other questions too, like how to get rid of the dandelions that have taken over our lawn (I think it's about 50% weeds) without using harsh chemicals. :) I figured I'd start with this one because the ivy bothers me more than the dandelions do.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022