SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loufloralcityz9

Nut Trees for my fall planting

loufloralcityz9
13 years ago

On a Sept. 11 post Sylvia asked me if I had planted any chestnut trees which got me thinking that I completely missed planting any kind of nut trees here. So I googled to see what would grow in zone 9 and was pleasantly surprised that a few different kinds of nut trees would grow here. So I ordered two Chinese Chestnut Trees, four Hazelnut Trees, three Black Walnut Trees, three Tropical Almond Trees, three Russian Almond Bush/Trees that only grow 6 feet tall yet still produce nuts, and two Texas Paper Shell Pecan Trees for my fall nut tree planting. The two chestnut trees were delivered today and look pretty good. They are about 3 to 4 foot tall but will need to be staked as the wind on this hill will flop them over for sure. I also pre-ordered some 'low chill' fruit trees to replace my northern fruit trees that wont set fruit because they require high chill hours. My question is can I graft cuttings from the low chill trees to my existing fruit trees to make them set fruit on the grafted branches? Has anybody tried that? I have grafted many trees in the past so my grafting ability is not in question, my wonder is will the trees set fruit on the grafted low chill branches?

TIA, Lou

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida