SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
backyardgrown

Your favorite plants/trees for fall interest

backyardgrown
13 years ago

I'm adding a few things here and there to help extend my garden's appeal into winter. I grow cut flowers, so most of my plants are grouped together by type and I'm often left with bare spots after they've bloomed out for the year. (Warning, tl;dr (too long;didn't read) ahead)

I'm not a huge fan of shrubs, but I'm adding some here and there. Although I'm trying to go with natives, I just can't help myself sometimes. I picked up two loropetalums and a Japanese pieris yesterday.

Fall blooming mums really spice up the garden once the annuals get hit by heat or frost. I have two taller varieties (Sheffield pink, Mammoth quill yellow) that look really nice and the plain old garden mums that everyone buys in the fall and throws out. I plant mine! I'm going to propagate some next year too.

What I've added so far:

Ornamental grasses

Evergreen shrubs

Fall blooming mums

Hellebores

Ornamental grasses

What I want to add:

More native evergreens

More varieties of native ornamental grasses

Mums and Asters in all sizes and colors

Dediduous trees with nice fall foliage (I have some on the way and they are all natives!)

(I started with a blank slate 4 years ago. There was nothing but house, weedy grass, a huge brushy area and a couple of apple trees. I now have lush flower beds, roses, perennials and the brush area has been about 1/2 cleared. The sinkhole that was there has been dug out for a pond, and native grasses are going in soon.)

So, what are your favorites for fall and winter interest that fit in with your cottage gardens?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH