SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaj_oh

Help! Used pressure cooker for first time - Uncertain of results!

Lisaj_OH
14 years ago

I bought a bushel of red peppers yesterday. I roasted them all and used a recipe from a canning book (place peppers in pt. jar, add 1/2 tsp. of salt, top with boiling water). Then I used the pressure canner to can according to the directions in the user manual and the canning recipe book.

This morning, my jars have a LOT less "product" in them. I had filled them with peppers, but I didn't pack them in. I filled them to an inch below the very top. Now, they are an inch or two lower than that. Actually, 1 can is a little more than 2/3's full.

Is this supposed to happen???? Also, some of the jars have bits of pepper hanging from the lid????

Also, let me add I read that the heat level should be consistent, but I did end up playing with it a little during the processing, maybe a couple of times in 35 minutes......

I feel like at this point I should open all of the cans, place the contents in a freezer bag and freeze them. At least then I know the peppers will be safe to eat.

I am 99% sure I did it right.....BUT! The whole botulism thing scares me to death!!!

Please, anyone, HELP!!!! (That's $17 in peppers!!!)

P.S. I do lots of HWB canning - but I have nevered used or seen anyone use an pressure canner.....

Comments (7)