SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve_mass

Where to buy Hosta

I hope that title is searchable. I think it's the responsibility of those of us who know about HVX (and nems) to inform the Hosta buying public about safe and unsafe sources. Since the large wholesale growers seem to think that 5% diseased plants are an acceptable amount, we will continue to see HVX plants for sale at local nurseries, big box stores, plant sales and other questionable sources. So lets create a thread where we can send people when newbies need to know how to buy healthy plants.

Rules: Post your favorite sources. Give links if you can, and tell why you like them. I believe there are two safe kinds of places to buy; reputable online sources and local Hosta specialty nurseries.

My favorite online sources:

1. Hallson Gardens Large multiple eyed plants at fair prices. Exceptional customer service. A Dave's top 5 for Hosta. If Hallsons has it, I buy from them. Located in Michigan Hallson Gardens

2. In the Country Garden and Gifts Large plants at fair prices. Many hard to find varieties Great customer service. Great companion plants. Located in Iowa. In the Country

3. Naylor Creek Large one or two eyed plantss. Many plants you simply can't get anywhere else. They always have the latest newest cultivars. Great customer service. Located in Washington State. Naylor Creek

4. Naylor Creek Large one or two eyed plants. Many plants you simply can't get anywhere else. They always have the latest newest cultivars. Great customer service. Located in Washington State. Naylor Creek

5. Mason Hollow Large one or two eyed plants, bare root, sometimes larger. They also have a very large inventory. Located in New Hampshire. Not many people know or use this nursery, but they are terrific.Mason Hollow

Local Hosta Specialty Nurseries in New England

Mason Hollow, as do all of the above online sources, sells locally as well as online.

1. Cochato Nursery, located in Holbrook, MA. Large inventory of many large plants. Spectacular display garden. It's not unusual to find plants for sale with 5 or more eyes.

Cochato Nursery

2. R. Seawright, located in Carlisle, MA. I have gotten my largest plants here. He will only be doing on site sales this year. No Internet sales. Known for the field grown daylillies that are spectacular.

R. Seawright

3. Fourth Generation Nursery, located in Mendon, MA. This is a wholesale place that grow their own Hosta. They are only open to the public a few days a year. The plants are enormous, at least a year or two ahead of what you can find elsewhere. Pretty near every cultivar they sell will have 6-10 eyes in the pots. Prices are fair for the kind of plants they sell.

Fourth Generation

The New England Hosta Society has a page of resources where you can find plants near to you if you live in NE. Here's the link.

NEHS recommended sources

If you don't live in NE find a Hosta Society near you and check out their list of recommended sources. Here is where you can find local societies.

Local Hosta Societies

I avoid most local nurseries. There are a few knowledgeable who I will trust. I avoid Big Box Stores. I don't like Hosta's Direct, because I think their plants are too small. However, their plants are healthy and they are a Dave's top 5 Hosta source.

Please post your favorite sources.

Comments (56)