SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
never_give_up

Canning greens, What am I missing?

never-give-up
15 years ago

Looking at the directions for canning greens on the NCHFP leaves me with questions. Say you wanted to can the 28 pound of greens in pint jars to end up with 14 pints in the pressure canner. The directions have you blanch 1 pound at a time for 3 to 5 minutes or until well wilted. Fill jars loosely with greens and add fresh boiling water, leaving 1-inch headspace.

28 X 3 to 5 minutes comes out to 84-140 minutes that it would take to fill the jars just in blanching time. Never mind the packing/prep time. There are some questions left unanswered.

1.Do you fill all the jars with greens and then put the boiling water in all of them at the same time? Or do you fill a jar with greens and put the water in then? If so, that would either leave the first jars sitting for 140 minutes + - without water or with boiling water that will cool while you continue blanching each pound.

UNLESS you put them in the pressure canner as you go. If that's the case wouldn't the first jars end up mush by the time you reach jar 14? As they have to be processed for 70 minutes in addition to the wait time 84-140 + -.

Can someone tell me what am I missing? Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spinach and Other Greens

Comments (7)