SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
masi61_gw

serrated vegetable peeler for tomato skins

masi61
16 years ago

Last year I was watching a PBS cooking show "America's Test Kitchen" and they were doing a review of vegetable peelers. They particularly liked the serrated ones for their ability to peel skins from tomatoes. These cost less than 10$. I couldn't find the OXO Good Grip brand that they liked best so bought some generic Williams-Sonoma made in China one and it seems fine.

Last year I tried the blanching and dropping into ice water method of peeling tomatoes. I also tried halving them and sticking them on a broiler pan on high heat for 5 minutes. Both these methods worked OK though I did burn my fingers a little when I was in a hurry and still had to hold the (now limp) fruit in the sink and cut out defects with a paring knife.

Well this year, I can proudly say, I have peeled all my tomatoes raw with that little serrated peeler. Waste is minimal, and since the fruit isn't heated up, it stays more firm and therefore easy for my to work with. And now that I've got the hang of it, I would say this method is much faster as well.

Are others just peeling the skins off cold, as I do? What do you think?

Comments (3)