SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
work_in_progress_08_gw

Newbie question about safety

Newbie to this forum, and to the canning world. Received a Victorino BWB canning pot, utensils & "The Art of Preserving" by Williams-Sonoma for my recent birthday. Very excited to do some canning, my SIL and I did a peach jam recipe and tomato sauce recipe from WS.

A knowledgeable canner from the HDF recommended I come here to ask the questions posted there about what we canned using the recipes in the former title. I had no idea that the source wasn't a good one, had safety issues, etc.

FWIW, I now know I need to read some very important titles and consult the NCHFP site before even attempting to do anything further with canning.

My question is, the peach jam was processed in sterile jars in the BWB for 10 minutes and all jar seals popped. Are they safe to eat?

Also, we made a spaghetti sauce which precipitated my questions because it separated, leaving about and inch and a half of tomato water in the bottom of the sealed quarts.

Important disclosures that I feel may be red flags/problems with how/what we canned ~ the lemon juice called for was fresh lemon juice vs. the lemon juice discussed here, which I believe is like the Real Lem stuff you buy in the grocery which is mass produced. I like fresh foods, and the recipe in the book used called for fresh lemon juice, that's what we used. Will using fresh lemon juice render the peach jam unsafe?

Peach Jam recipe from WS book:

5 1/2 lbs. peaches, fuzz gently rubbed from skins - cut into chunks

3 c. sugar

3/4 c. fresh lemon juice

Sterlize jars, cook mixture, pour into half pint jars and BWB for 10 minutes.

* We doubled the recipe, and used some 5 oz. jars

Also, I haven't been able to confirm it here or anywhere yet, but the Simple Tomato Sauce called for olive oil & also called for fresh lemon juice. I am very concerned about the sauce, and only have one jar that was not processed in my refrigerator and will use same within the week.

The remainder of the jars that were processed are still sitting at my SIL's. I am not at all comfortable with using those since from what I've read here, seems as though we may have made some errors in following the recipe, at the very least, doubling the recipe, and assuming same to be a reliable recipe, and safe item to can.

Any thoughts would be sincerely appreciated. I've been wanting to can for years and now I have the equipment. What I need is to spend the winter months reading as much credible information as possible before venturing into actually canning anything else.

Be gentle, for I now know it was a dumb move to jump in with both feet as a complete novice. In fact, the night after doing the Peach Jam recipe, without even talking or reading anything else about canning, my own mind was racing, dissecting the whole day, what we put up, etc. Intuition perhaps? My fears were then confirmed when a kind poster on another forum pointed out that the book we used is not to be trusted as a true source for safe canning.

Thank you so much for any help, thoughts, direction.

Comments (23)