SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Question about small dogs and safety

alisande
14 years ago

I have a friend who used to have large dogs. After the last one died in old age she bought a miniature dachshund puppy. Taffy is adorable, of course, and my friend adores her. There's nothing she wouldn't do for Taffy. But I think she takes risks with her safety, and I wonder if I'm overreacting.

Because Taffy is little, my friend takes her out in the car a lot. This is something she couldn't do as easily with her big dogs. Taffy is not secured in the car, and when my friend exits and enters the vehicle I worry that Taffy is going to jump out. My friend said this isn't a problem.

If we sit on a bench in the park, Taffy in my friend's lap, she's attached to a leash, but the leash isn't attached to anybody. My friend sees no need to hold onto it unless they're walking. This makes me nervous, because I can just imagine Taffy spotting something interesting and taking off into the street. Again, my friend doesn't think there's cause for concern. Honestly, I hope she's right. Maybe I'm reacting to the fact that the dog is so small, or maybe I'm confusing my dog history with this dog, who is very different from any I've owned.

What's your opinion?

Comments (8)