SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexisls

Question About Hoods & Safety

alexisls
12 years ago

This may seem like a dumb question, but can someone explain to me how a hood improves the safety of a range?

I understand how it cuts down on cooking smell and smoke, reduces the ambient temperature, and sucks up the aerosolized grease that causes kitchen grime, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how a hood improves the safety of cooking (as opposed to aesthetics).

Some context - I have never had a hood over the stove (I've always had an old-fashioned exhaust fan that vents outside) and while I am a fairly accomplished cook, I've never felt like I was missing anything. I don't cook stirfry or deep fry and am most likely to use a power burner for boiling a large pot of water for pasta.

But I'm now considering a 30" BlueStar and am putting in my due diligence research. It's appeal to me is the steady heat at the low end, the large oven and the broiler - I'm actually considering downshifting one of the 22k burners to a 15k.

I've seen some truly gorgeous hoods on GW, but they are in much larger kitchens than mine. I'd just as soon not crowd my modest galley kitchen with a big hood, and there's always any number of other things that I could spend the money on. :)

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments (13)