SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
m2dougherty

Questions about Peel Bond and Mad Dog

m2dougherty
12 years ago

Our dining room is the only room in the house that has painted trim. We have five bent glass windows so half of the room has an oval or rounded shape.

We painted the trim with a good oil based paint about 20 years ago. Overall it is in pretty good shape. There are just a few spots where the paint has chipped or has a crack or two in it. The original finish was a shellac coated dark mahogany color. Then it was painted with a lead based paint. and then our oil paint.

We could replace the trim where it is the usual flat style but the bent wood trim in the rounded part of the room might be difficult for us to mill and replace.

Do you think that either the Peel Bond or Mad Dog products might help fill in where the paint is chipped or cracked?

I understand that these products are not meant to encapsulate lead. We have no small children and just want to tidy up the trim for repainting.

I'd like to fill the depressions for a smooth finish. I do not want to strip the whole room nor do I want to sand with the lead paint being under there.

I have also heard of Peel Stop but have the impression that it will not fill in the chipped spots.

Thank you so much for your advice.

Comments (7)