SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drgeekgrl

Pepper and Eggplant in Oil - Preserving the Harvest

E
9 years ago

I am usually skeptical of anything that uses oil in canning - I avoid it like the plague, but I'm also really cautious. I think it took me months to actually try to pressure can chicken stock, and even longer to accept it as safe. (In the meantime, my husband was eating it way before I was - he said it was great. Apparently he trusts my skills more!).

So when looking for new recipes in my books, I came across this pickled eggplant and pepper recipe from "Preserving the Harvest" by Carol Costenbader from 2002. It sounds a lot like the eggplant and pepper stuff I buy at Costco, and would be tons more convenient than the giant jug that I buy that only I eat.

But..... It's pickled in oil. AND garlic. And I didn't you could do that. It does have a high vinegar content in it, but it still calls for water bath canning... Garlic and oil? I thought that just wasn't done....

Thoughts? Do these books get tested? Am I overthinking this one or should this recipe be just crossed out? I hate finding a bad recipe in a book because it makes me nervous about the fidelity of the rest of the book.

Here are the ingredients if you don't have the book:

5 small eggplants, unpeeled and sliced in 1/2 inch slices
4 large red bell peppers
2 large yellow bell peppers
1 cup olive oil
3/4 cup cider vinegar
3 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp pickling salt
1/4 tsp dried pepper flakes
10 large basil leaves

The procedure involves grilling the eggplant, roasting the peppers. Then you heat the oil/vinegar/spices. Put the eggplant and peppers in the jars and top off with the oil/vinegar mixture and process for 20 minutes in BWB.

Is this safe? Or a botulism party waiting to happen?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz