SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilacs_of_may

Freezing peach pie filling

lilacs_of_may
15 years ago

I have Clear Jel and Fruit Fresh on hand, and a ton of ripe peaches that have a window of opportunity of about a day or two.

What I've been trying to find on the Internet is a peach pie filling that specifies Clear Jel and that freezes well, and I haven't been having that much success.

Can I use a canning recipe and then just freeze it instead of putting it into jars for the boiling water bath?

Some of the recipes don't use Fruit Fresh. Is that a problem? Especially with thawing the filling? I don't want it to turn brown as it thaws.

Does anyone have a link to a recipe that will satisfy my concerns? Some of the recipes specify pounds of peaches. I don't have a scale, so that won't work. I have a 4 cup measuring container. About how many cups of peaches per pie is right?

I haven't done much baking since I was first married, in the late 70s. When the marriage went the way of all flesh, my baking kind of followed.

But now I've got this ton of peaches, and....

Comments (12)

• prairie_love
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've used the recipe in BBB. It doesn't have Clear Jel so if you specifically want to use that I'm not sure.

• Related Discussions

Peach pie filling, Ball Complete recipe

Q

Comments (3)
    We canned some in honey and some in a light syrup and we really liked the ones in light syrup for eating and are using the ones in honey to make cobblers with. Worked out really well both ways, but the kids said the honey taste was too strong for them.
    ...See More

Freezing peaches for pie

Q

Comments (13)
    I usually can peaches to save freezer space for beef and pork, which we raise ourselves, but I freeze a few for cobbler and pie as Iike the texture better, canned peaches seem softer when baked into a pie, etc. I blanch the peaches, peel them and put them into a solution of water with a couple of Vitamin C tablets broken open and dissolved in. Far cheaper than Fruit Fresh and it keeps the fruit from browning. Slice them, put them into a single layer on a sheet tray and freeze. If they stick just a few minutes will allow them to thaw just enough to release. Into a ziplock bag and into the freezer, and the individual slices let me take out just enough for a smoothie for the grandkids, a small batch of turnovers, some ice cream, topping for pancakes, whatever. I never use any sugar or syrup when freezing this way and even if I'm making scones or muffins the frozen slices still are easy enough to cut into smaller chunks. I've also done as Donna states and put all filling ingredients in a ziplock bag ready for use. The only thing I do differently is that I freeze the bags right in my pie plates, so they are the right shape to just plop into my pie crust for pie or into the pan to thaw and get ready for cobbler or crisp topping. When they are frozen they can be removed from the pie plate and stacked up for later use and the pie plate goes back into the cabinet for future use. Annie
    ...See More

Peach Pie Filling

Q

Comments (3)
    The lemon juice tends to give a taste you may not want. Ascorbic acid is great for peaches. Its also called Fruit Fresh, and in a recent post, I mentioned that K-Mart has some. To make a filling, suggest you should use Clear Jel which is much more stable in the thickening of a pie filling. You can make a looser filling, and add the starch when you use it, but its much easier to thicken to teh right amount when its being made. Buy some Pepperidge Farm puff pastery sheets. These, once slightly thawed (keep it cold), can be cut into quarters and then a spoonful of filling goes into each. Fold over diagonally. Pinch the edges of the dough. Then refreeze or bake. Canning pie filling cannot use flour as a thickener, or even regular cornstarch, or tapioca, or other unstable thickeners
    ...See More

RECIPE: Can you freeze peach pie filling?

Q

Comments (5)
    yes line the pan with plastic wrap..then fold the wrap over the filling, then put in the freezer, when solid, pop out of pan, and place inside freezer bags. You will have a much longer baking time if you use the frozen pie filling. Some schools say to thaw the filling over night and then bake. But that would negate the point in freezing first in a pie pan/dish. I often just put the filling into a ziploc and freeze. Try it both ways and see, what works best for you.
    ...See More
  • digdirt2
    15 years ago

I thought from your earlier post on this that you were just going to freeze the peaches?

If you make them up first as pie filling then that is the only way they can be used - pie filling. But if you just freeze them plain using any 1 of the 3 options in the approved recipes linked previously and again below then they can be used however you want later, including for pie filling. Plus it is much less work and goes a great deal faster when you have lots to work with.

Gives you many more options for use rather than just a ton of peach pies.

Dave

PS: few recipes will call for using Fruit Fresh specifically but it is assumed you will use it or something similar to preserve the color as much as possible. But as was explained in your previous discussion by many of us, they will darken some over time regardless of what you do. So no, don't expect your frozen and thawed peaches to look the same as fresh ones do.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - How to freeze peaches

• busylizzy
    15 years ago

Fer sure Dave, I don't care for frozen peaches at all.
    Especially if eating plain, have to eat when not quite defrosted, brrrrrrrr in the middle of winter.
    I can em

• reba_grows
    15 years ago

Good to hear from you Ken.

I agree with everything he says.

I use acsorbic acid as a pre dip and add it as Ken does sprinkled over the finished product as well, before I freeze. But since you already have Fruit Fresh (acsorbic mixed with citric acid) on hand, you can certainly use it as a pre dip to save the color. (Ascorbic acid works much better though). Mix with water according to the directions on the Fruit Fresh container for a pre treatment and slice the peaches right into it, doing only enough for one pie at a time so as not to let them soak too long in the dip.
    I also used to sprinkle more of the fruit fresh, when I used to use it, over the finished product before freezing as well.

I use 6-7 cups of peeled, sliced, (red centers cut out)peaches per pie (same process for apples but I only use 6 cups apples per pie). If the peaches are ripe, you can just cut the peach into quarters, remove the pit, cut out the red inside, turn the quarter over so the skin side faces you, hold the quarter in one hand and with the other holding the knife, use the knife to grab the top of the peel as it faces you, on each quarter and pull the peel down and off. I never do the boiling thing except if the peaches are not ripe, but then I wouldn't can or freeze them anyway,but I might make jam with them.

How many peaches is that? Depends on the size of the peaches... 1 pound = approx 4 medium (tennis ball size)= approx 2 cups sliced. So that would make it approx 12 medium peaches for 6-7 cups of sliced peaches for one pie, in a gallon size baggie for the freezer. My peaches just into the freezer, took 15 to 20 for 6-7 cups because they were so small and had portions cut out that were bruised.

As for the clear jel, I'm still fussing with the amount.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_02/can_pie/pie_fillings.html

The recipes at the above link are for canned fillings. I use these recipes as a starting point and then freeze them. But the amount of Clear-Jel is excessive. I have printed some dialog from another post here with Carol & Linda Lou talking about the recipe for apple pie, filling:

Carol- "Here's the link to the NCHFP recipe, which calls for 1 1/2 cups (Clear-Jel), but personally I'd cut it back to 1 cup or even less ClearJel unless you like your fillings really dense."

Linda Lou- "I agree with Carol about the pie filling being too thick. When I helped teach the new gals at the extension office this spring I had them thin their pie filling down. No oozing out of the jars that way. Otherwise it does tend to rise up in the jars and ooze out, keeping them from sealing. The headspace when canning pie fillings is important.
    Corn starch should not be used for the pie fillings, only Clear Jel. Cornstarch will break down and get watery."

Carol- "Another downside of those recipes. They're far more likely to boil over. I tend also to allow more a bit more headspace (3/4") for that reason. I really don't know what the extension agencies are thinking of, recommending so much thickening.
    I freeze ClearJel-thickened cherry pies (unbaked) and put them in the freezer with no problems whatsoever. I don't see any reason why you couldn't freeze the thickened filling. I have never experienced separation of ClearJel in the freezer.
    Those canned quarts are never sufficient for a pie, as far as I'm concerned. You basically have 3 cups of fruit and all that thickening. I generally use 5-6 cups of fruit per pie, so if I'm making two pies I'd use three quarts of canned fruit, only one of which would be thickened. The other two quarts would be drained of most juice and added to the thickened mixture."

(me again Rebecca)-
    I do the peach pie filling in one of 2 ways to prepare for freezing:
    1) I drain the peaches well from the dip. I put the peaches in a large bowl. I mix the Clear-Jel (I usually use about 1/4 cup per pie in 6-7 cups of sliced fruit) with a small amount of sugar, (amount of sugar can vary wildly according to the peaches and your tastes but I guess I usually start with 1/4 to 1/2 cup).
    I sprinkle another teaspoon or so of ascorbic acid (you= fruit fresh) over top, then I stir all very gently together with a large flat spoon or rubber spatula till sugar is dissolved, then pack into freezer gallon size baggies, press flat to remove air, seal and freeze flat until frozen, (then you can store any way you want). By the way, I really prefer the Glad freezer bags that don't use that pull zipper thing- it seems to catch on everyting in the freezer and punctures things.)

Sometimes I put just the sugar over the peaches, stir gently and let sit covered for about 5-10 minutes. I can then taste the peaches to see if they need any more sweetening, or if they need a dash (1 to 3 TBS or so) of lemon juice to tart it up. I then also add my 1/8 tsp salt and seasonings, like cinnamon and/or fresh ground nutmeg and I taste again. (I do a lot of tasting, always with a clean spoon each time).
    The peaches will give up some juice, which I drain off into a bowl. I then add the Clear-Jel to this juice using a wisk- it can take a minute to get the juice and the Clear-Jel mixed well enough.
    Then I then add the juice and the Clear-Jel slurry back into the peaches/sugar/lemon juice/spices, add more fruit fresh at the last minute, mix gently and pack and freeze.

2) I lightly blanch/cook the peaches first... to dissolve the sugar, to incorporate the Clear-Jel and to pre-thicken the filling as well as to 'slump' the fruit before freezing and baking, which is the same exact process I use if I am making a pie to bake and not freeze.

I do the same as #1, but I add only the suger to the sliced peaches and let them sit for about 10 minutes. Then I drain the juices off. I wisk the clear-jel well into the juices until mixed. I put the juices into a saucepan (large enough to later hold the peaches), and heat the juice on medium high stirring all the time until it just comes to a gentle boil. Then I add the lemon juice and simmer for about a minute, stirring constantly. Then I lower the heat to medium, add the peaches and simmer gently, always gently stirring, for about a minute or 2.

Then I remove the peaches from the saucepan (I just put them back into the big metal bowl they sat in earlier, (I add the salt & spices anywhere along the line), where they sit, covered, until cool enough to pack, adding fruit fresh/ascorbic, and freeze.

The benefit is that I can see how thick the filling is before freezing and like Ken said-
    if it's too thin you can make a slurry out of a small amount of water and more Clear-Jel, add to the peaches when they are still being heated, cook another minute or so and correct the thickness (too thick when cooler, like Ken said I just add some water).

This summer I froze 2 unbaked peach pies, made 2 gallon bags of peach pie filling for another 2 pies and froze another 5 gallon and 4 Qt bags of plain peach slices (treated with ascorbic and packed with a light sugar syrup) that I use for peach crisp or cobbler, eating as is etc.

Lastly I froze 3 QT size bags, treated with ascorbic but no sugar, (each holds 2 cups sliced peaches) that I will use to make no-sugar jam for my diabetic mother in law, in my breadmaker. Each 2 cups makes 2 half pints of jam. I have found that using 1 TBS Clear-Jel mixed in with the water, then the peaches in the breadmaker jam thickens the jam perfectly, much better than the full box of pectin the breadmaker suggested. I also mix in a tiny amount of Splenda at any point in the process if it's not sweet enough.

If anyone reads this and if anyone knows-
    I purchased some "Therm-Flo" at an Amish type market nearby. It was next to the Clear-Jel. The Therm-Flo was marked 'canning/freezing', while the Clear-Jel was marked 'cooking'. No other directions on either.
    I'm getting confused with all the types that are out there. I know the link above says you must only use regular Clear-Jel for canning, NOT the instant or any other Clear Jel. But I've seen online canned pie fillings that call only for Instant. I believe Clear-Jel A is now the 'regular' Clear-Jel used in the pie fillings in the site link above. But what the heck is Therm-Flo? Is it the freezer Flo Ken refers to above? How is it used that is different than the 'regular' And what do you use the instant for? I have some of that too but don't know in what or how to use it either.

Oh well....lilacs of may- enjoy having and preparing all those peaches, and don't worry. I've had soupy peach pies and dry peach pies and many perfect ones. We have loved each one regardless, hot out of the oven on a winter day, on a plate with a fork or in a bowl with cream and a spoon. It's all so good and worth the effort.

Best of luck to you,
    Rebecca

• lilacs_of_may
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Most of the peaches I do plan to just freeze, with sugar and Fruit Fresh. But I wanted to make up a couple portions of pie filling specifically so that this winter I can take out a baggie, thaw it, then toss it into a pie and bake it. It won't be a ton of peach pies, just two or three.

Thanks for all of the information. I have a question, though. Will the peaches turn brown no matter what I do? Then why even bother with Fruit Fresh or ascorbic acid?

And this is a different discussion. I wasn't asking about pie filling before.

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Its easy to get a decent thickness using Clear Jel, I mix it with a bit of water and pour it in slowly while the mixture is simmering. Stir, and allow it to thicken, before ading a bit more. Keep it on the light gravy side, as you can always add more starch at pie filling time. If you have bags big enough, you can fill one with the filling and place in a pie pan (slightly smaller than what it will be baked in) to get a pie shape. Roll out the dough, plop in the preformed peach filling, add the top crust and seal, then bake. The Clear Jel can thicken quite fast, provided the mixture its poured into is slightly boiling. Regular cornstarch and other starches like tapioka are not useful in canning. Clear Jel is a product based on corn, but is 'modified to be more stable under canning and freezing process. I even use it to make gravy and my meat pies. The rest of my 3 year old jars of apricot preserves are still nice and bright orange. One of my favorites is peach cobbler too. Lemon juice alone only has about 24% ascorbic acid, so its antioxidizing effects are a lot less, compared to just plain ascorbic alone.

• lilacs_of_may
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Reba, why do you cut the red parts out? I haven't been, unless there are some brown spots on them.

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

The Freezer Flow seems to hold up better in texture. I made meat pie gravies with Clear Jel and some with Freezer Flow, The Clear Jel gravy had a bit of water in it, form the previously frozen vegetables, which reduce its thickness a little. The Freezer Flow starch had not caused any watery seperation. Both are very similar, but in teh commercial market if National Starch has a customre that nees a bit more stabiity, they design a newer product for that. For may years, there was just 'modified food starch' as a single product. Now National Starch is making about 10 different types, some work well at room temps, while one reduces ice crystals in sauces when frozen. Unfortunately, my Frezer Flow starch supplier is not carrying it anymore, but maybe they will if more ask for it. In most cases you would not see much different, but Freezer Flow seems to give thickened sauces more of a sheen visually.

• dafygardennut
    15 years ago

Lilacs - if you follow the directions on the Fruit Fresh you'll be fine (whether the recipe calls for it or not). I use it in the holding water as I peel cut them up, then drain that and add to whatever jam or pie filling I'm making. If you're precooking the filling, make sure you let it cool before putting it in the freezer - that will help it freeze faster.

Jen

• reba_grows
    15 years ago

Lilacs- it's really just a preference that I cut out the red part from the inside of the peach when freezing. My husband doesn't like the mouthfeel of the harder stringier (is that a word?) centers. Some peaches are tougher in consistancy in the centers than others too.

However, if you process/can those sliced peaches in a BWBath, eventually the centers sometimes turn to an muddy brown color. It doesn't matter as much to me in a pie filling or in jam, and certainly not at all in chutney or salsa etc.

Please tell us how you do.
    Rebecca

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

The reddish party of peaches around the stones can contain a bit of the edges of a stone, especialy if its been cracked or split open. These fragmnents tend to be thin and splinter like, and not easily seen once the pit is removed. Even in commerical canning you may find a tiny piece, and there they do cut away most all of the red coloration. I like adding a few plums, pluots, and/or apricots to my batches.