SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adinin

First time pickler

adinin
15 years ago

Hey all, first time poster here. Found these forums tonight, and they look like a great source of info. I figured id toss out my problem here and see if anyone can help. Ive done several batches of fresh packed vinegar pickles, and have recently tried moving on to fermented pickles. However my attempts have been less then successful. My first batch seemed to be going well, started to bubble after 2 days and was forming a bit of scum. about a week after that, the odor turned bad, and i took a chunk out of one of the pickles when i was scumming it. They had all pretty much turned to mush, and the smell was pretty bad. Started a second batch right after i dumped them, and now after 3 days they are already starting to take on that same smell and getting mushy at the ends. The second batch did have more salt, as the first time i was using kosher salt instead of pickling salt. The recipe that i used is from Good eats, and is as follows:

5 1/2 ounces pickling salt, approximately 1/2 cup

1 gallon filtered water

3 pounds pickling cucumbers, 4 to 6-inches long

1 tablespoon black peppercorns

1 tablespoon red pepper flakes

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 teaspoon dill seed

1 large bunch dill

cukes were rinsed well and had the ends trimmed off, and placed in a crock over the spices. The brine was poured over that, and a bag filled with the remainder of the brine was place on them to keep them down. I left them in the basement, the temp is pretty consistently 70 degrees. Each batch was covered with a light screen to keep the cats and any dust out. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. My current thought is not enough salt, and maybe using vinegar to kick start things. Probably gonna try one of the recipes ive found on this forum for my next batch.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH