SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dani_plus_2

'N' is also for NOIDS...I know you've got 'em!

dani_plus_2
14 years ago

Didn't want the NOIDS left out...but they don't belong in the "N" thread. If you know what they are, name 'em. If not, oh well. *smile* Maybe we can help these poors things feel like part of the family!

{{gwi:972570}} 1 I think this is a candy series, but I'm not sure

{{gwi:972571}} 2

{{gwi:972572}} 3 Has a million blooms, but they are almost always deformed

{{gwi:972573}} 4 It's color is actually lavender, but it doesn't like pics

{{gwi:972574}} 5

{{gwi:972575}} 6

{{gwi:972576}} 7 Might be Shades of Darkness

{{gwi:972577}} 8 I think it's Catherine Neal

Dani

Comments (42)

• nanny56
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I only have 4. I hate it that I don't know the names ....But I LOVE the flowers!!

Nice small dark red/cranberry
    {{gwi:972578}}

This a really pretty one. Much more pink then it shows. But a nice blend with diamond dusting...Just Glows!
    {{gwi:972579}}

Oh this one is stunning!! Impossible to capture the color. A beautiful blend that depending on the light appears pink, melon, orange or all of them at once....it will never leave the garden!
    {{gwi:972580}}

This is a cute one! A very small flower.
    {{gwi:972581}}

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

I don't like NOID's, but I have a lot of them and I think this is going to be my favorite thread yet. It's fun to see what other NOID's are out there.

Tall bicolor

Short, small blooms. I almost got rid of this one this year, but it did so well, I just couldn't do it.

Tall, Large bloom, smells great!

A really long bloom period on this NOID.
    {{gwi:675348}}

Almost looks like MATT and is about the same height and size, but I just don't think it quite fills the bill.

Don't even remember where this is planted.
    {{gwi:675342}}

I am wondering if this is a species daylily. Maybe?
    {{gwi:675344}}

Very close to STRAWBERRY CANDY but just not sure.
    {{gwi:675350}}

Short, large blooms.
    {{gwi:675354}}

Don't remember seeing this in bloom this year.
    {{gwi:675359}}

Vickie

• Related Discussions

Kill 'em. Kill em all

Q

Comments (16)
    I agree about eating the purslane. We use it in salads a lot, although I must say the hybridized cultivars are more tender in flavor, more upright, and have larger leaves than their wild cousin. But even the wild stuff is great in a salad, and as others have pointed out, very nutritious. As for the rest of the weeds, I'd just smother them with straw or bedding hay. If you've ever used a bale of hay or straw before, you know how it comes apart in "books" or "sheets." Simply lay these books side by side to cover the whole area. Nothing will grow through them. The best part is that as they break down they feed the soil, so by next year you can simply make some holes through the hay/straw and do your planting. I have done this numerous times and it works great. -Diggity
    ...See More

Do you ever wonder if you've got Althiemers? (sp?)

Q

Comments (21)
    Aluminum cooking utensils, aluminum foil and pots and pans do not cause Alzheimer's Disease. Tami, if Alzheimer's Disease runs in your family there is most likely a genetic link. From the day my Mom was diagnosed I have read anything and everything I could get my hands on about Alzheimer's Disease (one of the reasons I got the internet) and there is nothing that links aluminum from cooking utensils as a cause. If you are worried about ingesting aluminum stop drinking water, stop taking Tylenol, stop taking antacids and stop drinking tea or even wearing antiperspirants. Here is link to a Government of Canada website in regards to aluminum and human health. In my research and book reading on Alzheimer's Disease the first comment ever made linking aluminum from cooking utensils and foil was by researcher/scientist telling a joke at a cocktail party - somebody overheard the words "aluminum foil" and "Alzheimer's" and the word was spread that aluminum pots and pans cause Alzheimer's Disease. That myth and hysteria continues to be spread but if you choose to believe it and it works for you go for it. Anne Here is a link that might be useful: Aluminum and Human Health
    ...See More

Garage Sales / Love 'Em or Hate 'Em

Q

Comments (18)
    Hello again, everyone, If someone wants to haggle, say that you feel that, rather than putting the stuff at the roadside with a "Free" sign, you put a lot of work into setting up, the price is quite low, and that if he's unhappy with the price as marked ... ... that you've found that Good Will offers a decent/higher price on a receipt. As for putting the stuff into some agency's yard sale ... you have to do about as much digging, sorting, dusting, washing, pricing and packing into boxes to go to another sale as to set up for one of your own, don't you? And you manage your table(s) there, don't you? Patti43, What's "OT" ... "Oregon Territory", possibly? ole joyful
    ...See More

2017 show 'em if you've got 'em

Q

Comments (12)
    very small Yoshino cherry tree: What's particularly remarkable about it though is it's growing in climate zone 10 where Yoshino cherries supposedly have a lot of difficulty growing (lack of adequate winter chill and scorching hot dry summers). It's also growing on its own roots which means someday (if it survives) it will grow to become a very big tree, the size of a huge oak tree. Well, maybe not in climate zone 10. Someone else in the neighborhood has a mango tree (with fruit). That should give you some idea of the climate here.
    ...See More
  • floota
    14 years ago

Nanny56, could your little one be SPACECOAST TINY PERFECTION?

{{gwi:972590}}

• daylily_dreamer
    14 years ago

I have quite a few! Maybe we will get some ID's on these! I told the story in August of my sister's neighbor going to plow some of these under - no names though!

9 here's a group shot of noids

• daylily_dreamer
    14 years ago

Your fragrant yellow looks like hyperion and your pink double looks like my Dublin Elaine

• ninamora
    14 years ago

???

Maybe AFRICA

Late DIP

Mid season floriferous

4-5" flower mid season tet

mid and rebloomer tet

mid tet

Mid dip short

have more, but need uploaded to photobucket.
    Nina

• Cindy zone 6a
    14 years ago

Ok this will be fun to take some shots at the names!! Vickie, is the first one, the tall bicolor Howdy? looks like mine. Ninamora, # 5 looks like Pandora's Box. I'll have to post mine.
    cindy
    Here is my Pandoras Box for comparison

Here is Howdy, and he is very tall

What do ya think???
    Cindy

• Cindy zone 6a
    14 years ago

I've got some NOIDs too.
    This is a mid bloomer, larger blooms, pale yellow

This one is a late bloomer, and is the color of cantelope.

mid bloomer, around 5 - 6 inch blooms. Thought it might be Baja, not sure, it's been around a very long time.

This one is a early mid bloomer, got it as a 'gift' at a nursery open house, about 15 years ago, thought it might be Buttered Popcorn, but it doesn't seem 'full' enough.

This one has always puzzled me, one year I thought it might be Strawberry Candy, but this year the center eye on it kinda bled out, almost like Paper Butterfly, but it doesn't really look like my Paper Butterfly.

Cindy

• nanny56
    14 years ago

Floota, it very well could be!! That is the closest to match to it that I have seen. I never thought of that one and the size is right on. Thanks!

• Nancy
    14 years ago

Vickie, I was going to suggest New Dawn for your 1st bicolor. New Dawn & Howdy do look a lot alike, but different heights.
    Here are my unknowns

{{gwi:781463}}
    Have a couple others, but I didn't take pics. One rather reminds me of South Seas, but not as tall, smaller flower, but has that same odd color. Very hard to capture the correct color in a pic. Another is a very short red, and a taller purple very similar to my Barbary Corsair.

• ninamora
    14 years ago

Cindy,
    May well be pandoras box. I got that one several years ago, before I had brains enough to put name tags on them.
    Thanks.
    I think I found some more to post.
    mid-floriferous tall

tiny dip, 28"

40" dip mid

Is this Swirling Water?

This is 'Hidden Rainbow"-reminds me of a no id from above.

This is 'Joey Langdon" reminds me of another no id from above.

Nina

• dani_plus_2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ngraham- I think yours is Raspberry Pixie. Mine is hard to photograph and has a stippled effect like yours. Could your other one be Drop Cloth or China Veil?

ninamora- Could your "tiny dip" be Frans Hals?
    They show a range from rust to red for to colors. My Moms is quite distinctive, like yours. You black one sure looks like Africa.

dlpsych - I really like your first pale yellow NOID. Nice!

blue23rose- I REALLY want to know what the tall yellow one is!

Dani

• dani_plus_2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

blue23rose - The orange-ish one looks like August Flame???

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

Hi all, the bi-color that I posted is about 28-32" tall and has a 4" bloom. I saw the post earlier this year about daylilies that are very often confused and HOWDY and NEW DAWN are two of them. FRANS HAL is sometimes mentioned too, but it's a little shorter. They are all dips so I can't eliminate by crossing.

Dani, That is a great guess on AUGUST FLAME. It really looks like it.
    That tall yellow always blooms like a polytepal hose-in-hose double with 10-12 petals. And it also smells great. I love it and wish that I had a name for it.

Vickie

• phaltyme21
    14 years ago

I love this one even though it is a NOID. The plant sent up 3 scapes and kept bloom about a month. All the flowers
    were beautiful, some more soft yellow in addition to the
    pink. It does remind me of SECOND THOUGHTS.

I am enjoying looking at everyones noids.

Kay/phal

• Nancy
    14 years ago

Vickie
    New Dawn is listed at Tinkers as being 30" tall while Howdy is 40". I have Frans Hals, while it is bitone, New Dawn is a deeper red/orange. Also, Frans is several inches shorter.

• Nancy
    14 years ago

Oh, and Dani, I did receive the daylily as Raspberry Pixie & assumed that was what it was for several years. Then someone sent me an incorrect daylily & told me what they sent was Raspberry Pixie. I was rather upset at the time because I already had RP, but when they bloomed side by side, the one above is much taller, maybe 40" tall. Small flowers but very tall. Even the 2nd one I received is taller than 12" that Tinkers says. Now I'm concerned about the 2nd one I have, maybe it isn't RP if it is suppose to be stippled :)
    Do you think the other one might be China Veil? I got that one years ago, but thought I planted it elsewhere. The one I thought it was turned out to be a Stella. Still, the flower is smaller than Tinkers says it should be, the height is right, but the pictures on Tinkers look like a solid stippled pink. Mine starts with the yellow throat, merging into the deep pink stippling, but then merges into a cream, if you understand what I mean. Half the flower is creamy white, not just edging.
    Of course, could be a difference in soil or something, that always makes things harder to ID when they are similar, doesn't it.

• berrytea4me
    14 years ago

blue23rose,
    Your 'not Matt' looks almost exactly like one of the variable faces a seedling of mine gives. The seedling is out of 'Border Sentry'- do you think that might be a possible name match? The blush continually changes with the weather giving this daylily a different look each day. I don't grow 'Border Sentry' but suspect that it may have a similar trait.

A couple of those above look like my 'Green Flutter', a Stout winner so widely distributed.

{{gwi:972628}}

Here are some of my NOIDs--

There are a lot of Siloams in the garden I purchased so this is probably one of them that lost its tag:

This one is fairly tall. There are a lot of historics & fairly complete collection of Stout winners in this garden as well, some not accounted for yet. This could be one of them.

This one was labeled 'American Champ' but I'm not convinced that is correct. I can't find anyone with a picture of the real AC to compare it to. It looks a lot like 'Open Hearth' which is one of the plants missing from the old inventory, but the red stamens make me think OH is not right either. It also looks something like last year's Stout winner 'All American Chief'. There was also a local hybridizer who used to line out seedlings in this garden and he has an intro out of 'Open Hearth' so it could be a sibling seedling.

This one I bought from a box store. It was supposed to be 'Dream Legacy' and clearly isn't. I planted 'Jersey Spider' next to it for comparison. It isn't that either. JS bloomed earlier, with slightly smaller flowers, and the color of gold is ever so slightly more orange on my NOID. Height it about 22-24" in my climate, flowers 4.5-5".

This one, I grew for years before I "discovered" daylilies. It came from a box store. I had it in such a neglected spot that it was never over 16" and I thought for sure it was 'Happy Returns' but I divided & moved it to a better spot in the garden and WOW! It turned out to be 32" tall!

Could this one be a different one of the 'Starman's...' series like maybe 'Starman's Quest'??

I couldn't find this name in the online db's. It may be some kind of mis-spelling or it could also be a garden name used by a regional hybridizer. The previous owner of this collection was a garden judge so hosted seedlings for evaluation. The hybridizer listed, Hoffmeister, is (at least I think may be) a regional hybridizer.

This one appears to be a mixed clump. Some of the blooms were for sure the real 'Flying Carpet' but some looked like this instead

And finally, this last one is NOT 'Wisest of Wizards' as it was labeled. It does have that "Salter" look though...

• ninamora
    14 years ago

For those of you wondering if your noid's are China Veil and Starmans Quest, here are my garden shots of them.
    CHINA VEIL

STARMANS QUEST

nina

• floota
    14 years ago

Debra, Your "Not Wizest of Wizards' reminds me of one that I grow - but apparently have never bothered to take a picture of. See if you can find pictures of 'All The Magic' to compare to your picture???

• berrytea4me
    14 years ago

Julie,
    Thank you. Wow! It really does look like 'All The Magic' (pictures at Tinker's). Mine was short this year due to div/transplant in early spring but the other stats look dead on. My 'not Wisest of Wizards' tends to get a pink blush & almost bitone effect sometimes. Does ATM to that for you? I think this is one I'll have to get a df growing side-by-side to compare.

Nina,
    I think 'Starman's Quest' is out based on your picture. Looks like that one has a bit more grey/blue to it than my NOID.

• floota
    14 years ago

Debra, Yes, my ATM does have a pink blush. I don't recall a bitone effect. This is when I get really mad at myself - it has been growing here for years, and somehow I haven't bothered in years to get a picture of it. It would be nice to have a picture of it for comparison ( and also to help the failing memory.) Grrr! Scapes are on the short side too ( as I can best remember.)

• berrytea4me
    14 years ago

Julie, thanks for all the information. I will check that one out for sure. Really seems like it could be the one. I know what you mean about pix. There are several that I realized I didn't bother taking pix of this year. Too busy with other pictures.

Kay/phal- your pink one sure looks a lot like 'Fairy Tale Pink' to me.

• jkayd_il5
    14 years ago

dlpsych,

Could your mid bloom, large pale yellow be Kimmswick by Whatley?? I have it and like it a lot. Judy

• pamghatten
    14 years ago

Here is my only unknown ... I generally get rid of them if I can't name them. But this one is a really large near white.

{{gwi:972643}}

And for more reference, here is my Howdy
    {{gwi:971090}}

And my Starman's Quest
    {{gwi:926298}}

Berrytea4me, your large yellow lloks a bit like my John Allen:
    {{gwi:972644}}

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

Dani - I think your first one may be 'Brilliant Circle', a DIP by Sellers. I looked it up on Tinkers and they look quite similar. Marg

• Cindy zone 6a
    14 years ago

Judy, Yes, it could be Kimmswick, It certainly looks like a pic from Daves Garden website, but then it doesn't look like the pics from Tinkers. Go Figure!!! I thought maybe it was Brocaded Gown, but I have BG now, and the yellow NOID is not. Thanks Cindy

• berrytea4me
    14 years ago

Does anyone grow "Victorian Collar"?

As I am working through my inventory I found a clump labeled "Victorian Collar" that didn't bloom this season. My NOID not "Wisest of Wizards" above looks an aweful lot like the pictures of VC on Tinkers.

Wondering if anyone can tell me about the plant characteristics of VC in their garden so that I can compare to my NOID?

• granalene56
    14 years ago

Hi Vickie, I am enjoying the guessing game here!! A few of your noid pictures looks like some that I have seen while looking at pictures here and there.
    I do not grow any of them, but hope my guessing helps.
    The yellow double---Jo Barbre
    The Matt look alike---Brutus
    The species??---Pink Damask
    I have many noids and know the feeling of hoping to find a name for them.
    Good luck!!

Arlene

• floota
    14 years ago

Debra, I grew VICTORIAN COLLAR for about 10 years, but no longer grow it. The color is quite a bit darker than your cultivar, as I remember, so I don't think it is VC.

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

Arlene,

Thank you so much for the leads on what some of my NOIDs might be.

I looked in Tinker's Garden and the AHS for JO BARBRE and mine is more like 30" tall instead of the 23" they give, but wow... what a match otherwise! Mine also is very fragrant, but neither source say whether JO BARBRE is fragrant or not, so I am assuming not.

I used to think that the one similar to MATT was BRUTUS, but BRUTUS is 24" tall, MATT is 20" tall and mine only gets about 16" tall (this year it wasn't even 12" tall because I moved it). Mine also blooms down in the foliage and I'm really not liking this one because of that.

PINK DAMASK is a good guess on what I think is a species. It is around 3' tall.

I appreciate the help.

Vickie

• granalene56
    14 years ago

Hi daylily dreamer, amother shot at the guessing game with your pictures of noids.
    The one that looks peach with an eye looks like my Along The Way. There is another picture that I have seen of Smoke Rings that seemed to look similar. I do not grow it.
    Your red with a darker look at the throat looks like a Munson red. There are more than one that it might be. Merle Kent is one that I grow.
    The purple with the darker eye looks like another Munson--Russian Rhapsody.
    Your lavender bitone--the only lavender bitone that I can remember seeing a picture of is Pony.
    I hope some of the guessing helps.
    Good Luck!! It is hard to place names, I know!!
    Take care,
    Arlene

• daylily_dreamer
    14 years ago

Wow Arlene - I checked those out on Tinker's! Sure looks like I may have some IDs. Thank you so much!

• dayliliesrus
    14 years ago

Dani:I think #2 that you have on the 1st comment is Holly Dancer which is one of my favorites.
    #3 MAY be Driving Me Wild.

• granalene56
    14 years ago

Hi daylily dreamer, I am quessing again. Your first picture, the orange with a red eye--might be Bandit Man. I looked back to your red that might be a Munson. Cheryl Day grows many Munsons. She has a site listed at Charlotte's Daylily Diary. You might get some names from her albums that maybe would help you with the red.
    Good luck!!
    Arlene

• phaltyme21
    14 years ago

I can't find who had one she thought could be OPEN HEARTH -
    nope - here is Open Hearth

I've got a couple more to run down.

Kay/phal

• phaltyme21
    14 years ago

Vickie - I have some suggestions for names for your NOIDS

#6 - August Flame - mine is a bit more on the scarlet side
    but different soils make differences.

#7 - This really looks like Muddy Waters to me--what size is the flower. Mine is about 7"

• daylily_dreamer
    14 years ago

Arlene - thanks again! Most of these noids are new this year so their growing habits are a mystery to me. I'm keeping a list of your suggestions. Thanks!

• flora2b
    14 years ago

Noid's ....I got'em, lots of 'em. Will have to keep some notes on habit etc. and maybe I'll be able to identify some of them with your help. I know they are all older varieties.

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

Very pretty! Absolutely love that sixth one. Hope someone will be able to help you identify them.

For the last couple of years I have been keeping records of my NOIDs habits. This helped with identifying a couple.

I also took some of the blooms to my local daylily supplier and they were able to tell me what a couple were. If they weren't absolutely sure, they didn't want to mislead me, and I appreciated that, so I still have NOIDs.

Rather have NOIDs than mislabeled. This picture is why. I know I bought both of these daylilies SPANISH SNOWBIRD and SPACECOAST SNOW ANGEL at different times, but they are so close in bloom size, height, and color that I would not be able to tell the difference if I weren't so sure of what they are.

Vickie

• irish_rose_grower
    14 years ago

What a great thread, I wish I had some pics to share of my NOIDS but my computer crashed and i had them on the hard drive. I will check my photobucket account and see if I have any of my NOIDS on there.

Flora - one or 2 of your pics look like my Purple D'oro

• irish_rose_grower
    14 years ago

Found some of my NOID pics.

Could this be Custard Candy?

Here is a fragrant NOID - bought at a common nursery about 6 yrs ago when I didn't keep plant names.

Here's an orangey gift that a friend gave me from down south -- she didn't keep tags.
    {{gwi:630183}}

This beautiful shocking school bus yellow is so beautiful and fragrant. I have no idea of the name, but i'm sure it is a very common one from a local nursery. My Mom gave me this from her garden when I moved into my house about 6 yrs ago and she had it for several years then.

Maureen