SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ccaggiano_gw

Just got a tomato grinder, smasher thingy - cool story...

ccaggiano
15 years ago

So my mom finally handed down the thing that she used to use to grind up tomatoes when we were little. You throw the tomatoes in the top, press down on them and turn the handle. Skins and seeds come out one end. And the tomato juice and meat comes out the other. This was my great grandfather's and it is easily over 100 years old. And, it still works like a charm!!!

Common sense tells me that technology has gotten better since his days and I am wasting my time. But I'm going to ignore the common sense. It is kind of cool to be using the same thing to put up tomatoes that my great grandfather used .

In any case, my dad told me that when he was little, his grandparents used to put up their tomatoes in old pepsi bottles. Initially, I was a little confused as my first thought of a pepsi bottle was a two liter plastic one. After a little clarification, he told me that they used to sell special tops for the glass bottles sold back then. And by the fall, their entire basement and garage was filled with newspaper wrapped, glass pepsi bottles of tomato sauce.

Now, if I can only get their recipes!!!!

Comments (9)