SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zabby17

Annie's Salsa -- The New Currency?

zabby17
17 years ago

So my big sister called me yesterday and said "I know you are on some kind of neat canning website or something, and I was wondering if your buddies there have ever found a way to can or freeze basil."

I told here we'd discussed it here regularly and that, alas, making pesto and freezing it (or just processing the basil with olive oil & freezing) was generally the best anyone could do, and agreed it is too bad --- so many other herbs freeze quite well, but not this one.

She said she had a crazy bumper crop of basil --- something about several plants having a disease in June, so she replaced them in another part of the garden, then the first ones recovered and they all are producing like gangbusters. She says she has made and frozen pesto, but in truth there is only so much of it one uses in her carb- and fat-aware household.

I told her that the thing to do was make lots of extra pesto, freeze it, and give it to me to take home when I visit in September. "I'll bring you some tomato sauce," I said.

"Well," she said, "it's a deal --- IF you trade instead for some of that salsa."

Some of you may recall I was boasting of my own generosity for giving my last jar of Annie's sals to my sister when she came to visit at Canada Day (July 1); she's my big sis and generally hard to impress, but she really loved that stuff! So much so, apparently, that I can use it as a currency to trade for other things she has that I might want.

One day perhaps it'll overtake the dollar as the most-used currency unit. I can see it now: stores will have price tags in denominations of quart, pint, half-pint, and half-cup. Maybe some stores will traffic in only Extra Hot. LOL!

Zabby

Comments (9)