SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

part 3: the very late greats....my top 10

celeste/NH
9 years ago

In the second week of September the very lates are the stars amongst the brown scapes. These have been going since early August and will continue on for another couple of weeks as the grand finale in the garden. I am so glad I incorporated a good selection of the late-bloomers into my gardens because there would be very little to look at now. In zone 4, rebloom is a rare and unpredictable event so I rely on these lates to end the season with a bang.
The daylilies starting with VT ( it stands for Vermont) are unregistered and can be obtained from Olallie Daylilies in Vermont.

I was asked to share my favorites so I am listing them in order of personal preference.

Celeste

(VT) THE LAST MELON
It is nearly a tie between this one and VT Sophie because they are both equally productive, are hardy, healthy, have amazing bud counts and loads of scapes, open well in cool weather, multiply well and bloom reliably for many weeks into the very late season. I just prefer the color of this one just a teensy bit more but in all other aspects they are my number one pick.

(VT) SOPHIE

AUGUST FLAME
An oldie but goodie, it is hardy, healthy, prolific and blooms for a very long time.... and the color is a knockout in the late garden.

(VT) AUTUMN FIRES
Long and prolific bloom, brilliant color, hardiness, bud count...this one has everything going for it. I had posted a clump picture in a previous post.

WINDY PLACE
This one wins the award for LONGEST BLOOMER in my garden.
It was one of the first to start blooming on July 7 and had it's last bloom on September 8th. It sends up instant rebloom scapes so there was never a lull in the activity. It is a Solaris farms intro.

PINHILL CLARET SYMPHONY
Awesome color, strong scapes, reliable bloom, reliably late.

WALK IN THE CLOUDS
technically this is considered a late, not very-late, but here it is still blooming in the second week of September with a handful of buds left. Blooms have great substance, scapes are sturdy, color is rare for a late. Will be hard to obtain this one.

SEPTEMBER BLAZE
Many scapes and well-budded, a sturdy plant in all aspects.

(VT) BETSY
Another gem from Olallie, this one has lovely color and great bud count and is reliably very late. It's only downfall is that the rather thin scapes lean from the weight of the multiple blooms, but I can live with that.

PUMPKIN TIME
This one is a BUD-BUILDER so it just keeps on going even when you think it's down to it's last bud. And the color is very bright and really shines.

SO THESE ARE MY TOP TEN FAVORITES AMONG THE VERY-LATE BLOOMERS. I will do another post showing the other very lates which are also blooming right now, which I enjoy too.
Thanks for looking.

Comments (9)