SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessay3

Pears: Preserves, Syrup, Jelly & Taffy!?

jessay3
17 years ago

I have been making pear preserves for the last 2 days. Well, what were supposed to be pear preserves.

I used Carol's recipe but I MUST have done something very wrong! The first batch I did excactly like the recipe said. Well other than converting the weight of the pears and sugar to cups that is. Maybe that's what I did wrong. After converting I used 9 1/2 cups of sugar and 9 1/2 cups of sliced pears. I threw in more pears though to make up for the fact that they were slices and all I could find at the time was my 1 cup measuring cup so they didn't fit in there to well.....so it ended up being more pears not that it seemed to matter!

Anyhow, the first batch was really pretty but there was so much syrup. There was much more syrup than pears. It turned out kinda like pear honey. It's good, don't get me wrong, but not exactly what I was expecting. I got 7 jars of pear honey canned.

The second batch I followed the recipe but cooked it much longer. According to my Mom this is how she did them. Probably 2 hours on medium heat. These turned out to be thicker preserves. The kind I'm used to. BUT I didn't add a lot of the syrup when I put them in the jars. I packed the jars good with the pears and some of the syrup. After that, I still had a good amount of syrup left in the pot, so brilliant me decides to make jelly out of it. Well, I cooked it about 5 minutes more and poured it in 2 jars. One jar of the "jelly" got BWB the other didn't. The one that got BWB looks like syrup, the one that didn't turned into TAFFY. Now how in the heck am I gonna get that out of the jar!?

Today has not been my day, can you tell?

Whew, I'm tired of pears. Too bad I'm going to go get more and try again on Friday! Please someone steer me in the right direction. What the heck did I do wrong?

Sorry it's so long, but like many other's I needed someone to vent to. DH just doesn't get it....and Mom wonders how in the heck does someone mess up something as easy as pear preserves! Leave it to me to be the one.........

Jessie

Comments (3)