SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_ct

Presto Pressure Canner - Newbie mistake

sue_ct
11 years ago

Thought I would share my dumbness with others, in case it saves someone the same mistake. I have a new Presto 16 qt weighted pressure canner without the dial guage. It has an air vent in the cover, which I assume all pressure canners probably do. I went through the 10 minute steam venting and could not continue because the pressure in the canner kept making the air vent pop off. In desperation I removed it from heat, removed the cover, and removed all the jars to the pot I had used for BWB canning in the past. In the bottom of the pot was the cup and gasket with the threaded shaft the air vent is supposed to screw onto to keep it in place. I replaced it, made sure it was screwed on hand tight and stared all over again. Certainly not tragic, but the tomatoes have been subjected to at least 10 minutes more heat time than necessary, and might be a little over processed. Had I checked this first, or even known to check it, I could have saved some time and possible over processing. So check that the air vent is secure before starting, lol!

Comments (8)