SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

What went wrong with my pickles?

prairie_love
17 years ago

I had two batches of cukes fermenting ala Linda Lou's crock dill recipe. I did this last year and they turned out great. This year I have been a little worried, without quite knowing why. I was ready to can the first batch today. They smelled okay I thought, and I had been skimming scum and mold regularly. When I got them out of the crock, I found that several had soft spots and one actually just broke in half because it was so soft. Obviously I threw them out. I decided to look at the next batch even though I hadn't planned to can them quite yet. Same story so they went in the trash too. I am so sad. Mostly I am wondering what went wrong so I can prevent it in the future. I have another batch going and would hate to lose these ones too.

I am afraid to admit this, but we ate one of the first batch last night. DH mentioned that there was a "little" soft spot - I foolishly thought it was just that cuke. I thought the taste was okay, but not as good as last year, he thought they tasted fine. Huh, I guess that was a stupid thing to do - eat one without checking all of them.

Anyway, any ideas what I did wrong?

Ann, very sad and frustrated tonight

Comments (9)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio