SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ksprairie_gw

Pepper substitutions and jar sizes

KSprairie
12 years ago

I wanted to try a small batch of NCHFP's "Dill Pickle Relish". It calls for red bell pepper. My cucumbers are ready, but my bell peppers are all still green. I thought the experts here could tell me if there is any change in acidity from green to red that I need to worry about. Is green bell an acceptable substitution for red bells in pickling (BWB) recipes? The NCHFP also has a Hot Pepper Relish I would like to try. In that one they say to use either red or green bell peppers. In general, is it safe to interchange varieties of hot peppers? This recipe calls for jalapenos, of which I have very little, unfortunately. I do have enough Anaheims, although they are not nearly as sparky.

I was recently given some very good tips from several of you here on this forum as to which books to pick up that will help educate me about canning. I haven't purchased any of them yet, so I have a couple more beginner questions. I haven't been able to find the answers in the NCHFP so far. The NCHFP Dill Pickle Relish recipe states to use pint jars and process for 20 minutes for my altitude. Since it doesn't list quart jars or 1/2 pints as an option, should I assume that is not safe to change jar size? When I made dgkritch's Dill Relish from this forum earlier this week, I used two quart jars and five 1/2 pint jars (because I was all out of pint jars & didn't know it made a difference) in the BWB for 20 minutes. That was probably a mistake?

OK, last question, for now: NCHFP Quick Fresh-Pack Dill Pickles recipe calls for 2tbsp whole mixed pickling spice. Does anyone know what that is? I can't find where they describe that. Can you omit the spice and use a few garlic cloves? In general for BWB canning recipes, is it OK to change the amounts or kinds of spices since shouldn't affect the pH, or do they?

Thank you,

Karli

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!